Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: One domain on multiple Ip's.

Question One domain on multiple Ip's.

1. The problem.

The most sensitive of my sites, my mini network in my signature is hosted abroad that is not 100 % stable. It happens that the server is down or the site loads slowly because of heavy traffic to the other sites on the shared Ip. I have four hosters so all the sites are not down at the same time. Now I wan't the site served from at least two of my hosters. The simple question is, Is that possible

2. Additional information.

I can read page up and page dow about DNS balancing and

1. Geographic load balancing with DNS
    2. LVS: Geographically distributed load balancing

3. Possibilities.

Some offer Global DNS Load Balancing, for FREE!

Anybody that has experience with such services

4. Additional problems.

Will there be any duplicate penalty issue with SE's since the same code is present on two different servers If yes, there should have been a tag:
    <link rel="Canonical" href="http://www.digitalpunkt.no/"> On the first server.

<link rel="Balanced" href="http://www.digitalpunkt.no/"> On the second sever.

Today I administer the name servers for the different domains at my Norwegian registrar. I don't see any way that I can choose between a canonical and balanced solution there. So I think I need an external service or software.

5. The solutions.

Ideally, when one host's servers is down or too heavy loaded, I want an automatic redirection to the other hoster's servers. Is there a simple cheap solution Has anybody experience with this subject and can you recommend a good service
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Re: One domain on multiple Ip's.

Well, as far as #4, there is no duplicate content issue. Generally, the only time you would experience an issue is if you are updating content on one server while a search engine is spidering the other. As long as the two servers are kept in sync, the duplication is invisible to all clients. Usually this just means having a mechanism in place to automatically make changes on the secondary server when you alter the primary server.

From the technical side, I think you are thinking of round robin load balancing, wherein you assign multiple IP addresses to a single domain name, and rotate the order in which you send those addresses to clients, in hopes that the client will select the first IP address in the list. The problem is that this is a "dumb" system. It will keep rotating addresses, even if one of the servers goes down, and will still send traffic to that server.

What I believe you are looking for is something called high-availability failover. This is something that I had set up at a site a few years ago, but in reverse, to ensure connectivity to a single LAN through redundant network connections.

Basically, with a high-availability failover system, you are implementing a smart dynamic DNS system, which actively monitors the availability of each server, and as soon as it detects an outage, stops including that server's IP address in the rotation. This system differs from the round robin in that it immediately stops serving the IP of a lost server, plus it generally only serves a single IP to the client, instead of the full list.

The thing to bear in mind, however, is that these systems are hardware dependent, and are geared to high end commercial uses by multinational corporations. Ebay, Google, Yahoo, et al use these types of systems. Most hosts don't offer this, and you might find yourself needing to find a very cooperative dedicated host or having to purchase, configure and maintain your own nameservers. What I am trying to say is that this type of solution is probably far beyond what you need. A dedicated server from a reliable host would probably be a more cost effective solution.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by wige View Post
    Basically, with a high-availability failover system, you are implementing a smart dynamic DNS system, which actively monitors the availability of each server, and as soon as it detects an outage, stops including that server's IP address in the rotation. This system differs from the round robin in that it immediately stops serving the IP of a lost server, plus it generally only serves a single IP to the client, instead of the full list.
    Yes something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wige View Post
    The thing to bear in mind, however, is that these systems are hardware dependent, and are geared to high end commercial uses by multinational corporations. Ebay, Google, Yahoo, et al use these types of systems. Most hosts don't offer this, and you might find yourself needing to find a very cooperative dedicated host or having to purchase, configure and maintain your own nameservers. What I am trying to say is that this type of solution is probably far beyond what you need. A dedicated server from a reliable host would probably be a more cost effective solution.
    1. I know how big corporations operate.
    2. I don't need (a) dedicated server(s) yet.
    3. So I thougt there were a way to balance the load between two different hosters.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Quote Originally Posted by kgun View Post
    1. The problem.

The most sensitive of my sites, my mini network in my signature is hosted abroad that is not 100 % stable. It happens that the server is down or the site loads slowly because of heavy traffic to the other sites on the shared Ip. I have four hosters so all the sites are not down at the same time. Now I wan't the site served from at least two of my hosters. The simple question is, Is that possible
    It is possible, but you may want to address the root of the issue first. I would look for a more reliable alternative to the hosting services that are frequently slow or down.

5. The solutions.

Ideally, when one host's servers is down or too heavy loaded, I want an automatic redirection to the other hoster's servers. Is there a simple cheap solution Has anybody experience with this subject and can you recommend a good service
    The "server down" and "server slow" problems are similar but different enough to require their own solutions.

A load balancing scheme would help in the "slow server" case, but since you are sharing the servers with an unknown (beyond your control) number of websites, the simple and cheap solutions will not work well. You don't need just a distribution of the load, you need the selection to be adaptive, as the load of each candidate can vary wildly and unpredictably.

The "server down" problem can be solved easily with IP failover at DNS level. The DNS system monitors the main IP for the record that needs this feature, and, as soon as it detects the failure, it modifies the record to point to the backup IP. It's not instant, but it is as close as it gets. I don't want to publicly advertise any DNS service provider, but if you are interested, you can PM me and I will give you the link to the one we are using.

You can combine the two solutions and you can refine as time and budget permit. In my opinion, these solutions are worth implementing only after you have eliminated the biggest inefficiencies - ideally, when you have your own multiple dedicated servers. Otherwise, it can end up being nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

Hope this helps!

Yes something like that.
    1. ...
    2. I don't need (a) dedicated server(s) yet.
    3. ...
    What are you using until now? Shared Hosting?
    Then try a V-server.