Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Webstore and Integration Questions

Re: Amazon Webstore and Integration Questions

It depends on your budget, there is a "best way" for each budget. There should be a budget for upfront design and setup and a budget for monthly maintenance and upkeep going forward. Gone are the days that you can have a cart or site up and use it forever selling your items and expect to do well.
    Ingenuity.net - High End Ecommerce Solutions Provider since 1996
    RegisterMatrix.com - ICANN Registrar - $8.99 .mobi registrations - $6.99 .com transfers

Yes, have separate budget for both of those built into my business plan.

What solution would you recommend for a brand new start-up that still wants a professional look that is as turnkey as possible?

If you have fewer than 100 products, I'd recommend you look at Big Cartel as a starter...Mega easy, built in cart and tie it to your PayPal account.

Thanks, but I definitely want a tie-in to Amazon Checkout. And - and this is just a personal thing - I hate Paypal. I think it screams "Small Business!!!" Again, just a personal thing.

So, my choices are Core Commerce and Amazon Webstore for turnkey solutions, or OS Commerce, Miva Merchant, Magento or Magento for a more customized, litte bit higher-end solution (these integrate with Amazon checkout).

Quote Originally Posted by PixelMob View Post
    If your designer was up to it you could also go with a zen cart which is free but has no real support. you really have to know your stuff and have a competent hosting account. I manage one of theses now and it can be challenging.
    I installed Zen cart for a client. The client took one look at the complexity and said NO!
    Putting the world of computers into plain English.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by NJ View Post
    I installed Zen cart for a client. The client took one look at the complexity and said NO!
    If you want an easy to understand (specially for your clients) cart, there is a relatively new player on the market: opencart.com

Build a few stores with it within 5-7 minutes.
    Has almost all features other (and older) carts have, but has a clear and simple (to understand) structure (build on MVC).
    And the developer is very active.
    The cart itself is OpenSouce (GPL) and has a very active community.

Quote Originally Posted by JSD View Post

Build a few stores with it within 5-7 minutes.
    Has almost all features other (and older) carts have, but has a clear and simple (to understand) structure (build on MVC).
    And the developer is very active.
    The cart itself is OpenSouce (GPL) and has a very active community.
    Thanks for the tip JSD, I will check it out!
    Putting the world of computers into plain English.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
    Thanks, but I definitely want a tie-in to Amazon Checkout. And - and this is just a personal thing - I hate Paypal. I think it screams "Small Business!!!" Again, just a personal thing.

So, my choices are Core Commerce and Amazon Webstore for turnkey solutions, or OS Commerce, Miva Merchant, Magento or Magento for a more customized, litte bit higher-end solution (these integrate with Amazon checkout).
    We handle customized Magento which may work out for you in terms of something between proprietary and cart platform but with the unique design.
    Ingenuity.net - High End Ecommerce Solutions Provider since 1996
    RegisterMatrix.com - ICANN Registrar - $8.99 .mobi registrations - $6.99 .com transfers

We have handled some heavy duty Amazon integrations with thousands of products and live inventory. If you are just using their payment solution, you can use any shopping cart. If you are truly looking into an Amazon Merchant/Webstore integration be prepared to do a lot of hoop jumping. If you just have a few products and relatively steady inventory it is easy, but if you have many products and/or a constantly fluctuating inventory get out your checkbook. Like someone above said, the 800lb gorilla can be very hard to deal with sometimes. Also, since you are a startup, be prepared to have up to a month of cash flow to float amazon purchases, as they are not always quick to cut you a check.

"Amazon Checkout" (the payment solution I am looking at - NOT Amazon "Simple Pay") only integrates with certain "Partners" per their site. I am talking about a full-blown e-commerce site, not a Merchant Account, or whatever they call it when you sell products on Amazon.com.

Amazon lists as partners 3D Cart, XCart, Miva, Magento, OS Commerce, Core Commerce to name a few.

Then their is their "Webstore" which is a turn-key solution, same as Yahoo Stores. The more I hear about it, the more I am thinking it doesn't have the room for growth that I want, even though it's "easy" as far as having all the pieces in one spot.