Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: LSI has been implemented ???

LSI has been implemented ???

Hi All,

We have been hearing about LSI in sEO what exactly is that and how does it affect SEO, how one can use it effectively in SEO.

Regards
    Dorothy

Re: LSI has been implemented ???

Here's a definitive article for you to read:

Latent Semantic Indexing.

What it means to *me* in SEO copywriting is to be aware of all the related terms to my main targeted phrase and use those terms as naturally as possible.
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

LSI is mathematics and statistics, Hilbert rooms and vector space rooms. A lot of advanced statistics are projections in Hilbert spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by dorothykinder View Post
    We have been hearing about LSI in sEO what exactly is that and how does it affect SEO, how one can use it effectively in SEO.
    One reply

Quote Originally Posted by AcmeSEO View Post
    Actually, "contextual" indexing and retrieval has been part of the algo at the "theme-based" engines (Google, Alltheweb and Lycos) for a couple years now at least. Some of the components are Latent Symantic Indexing and Term Vectoring. If you've got the patience and time, Study those subjects. My Clients and I have been prospering from knowledge of how this works for almost two years now. And I agree that this area is the most interesting and where many of the coolest innovations of search marketing are and will be appearing.

Optimized regards,

Robert
    Source: http://www.webproworld.com/insider-r...tml#post196958

Well, I am undergoing a shift in SEO consciousness. I have long believed that LSI is an integral part of Google's algo, but in reading this morning, I came across this: How Google May Expand Searches Using Synonyms for Words in Queries. That would suggest that LSI is a long way from being truly used by any SE, wouldn't it?

Kgun, I am afraid to ask this, as I fear your answer will be way over my head but here goes.
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
    That would suggest that LSI is a long way from being truly used by any SE, wouldn't it?
    My simple answers are:

1. Implemented long time ago by Google,
    2. but it can constantly be refined.
    3. Also implemented by other searh engines.

Related:

1. http://www.webproworld.com/search-en...tml#post318235
    2. semantic Threads - Forum Tags by Zoints

Thank you, kjell!

I ran across this today: Official Google Blog: Helping computers understand language.

Look at the references here Meta Search Engine and search resources: SurfToolbar.com in the article "Search evolution, some thoughts and trends". Earlier I have mentioned the book by Langville and Meyer to you.

The first book

Michael W. Berry and Murray Browne:(2005) Understanding Search Engines: Mathematical Modeling and Text Retrieval (Software, Environments, Tools), Second Edition

is very informative.

Both books explain LSI fairly straightforward. The above is a little more than 100 pages long and strongly recommended reading for one that want to be a SEO expert.

I believe that although Google has a patent relating to LSI, they are some way off creating anything getting close to true LSI?

Quote Originally Posted by thefandango View Post
    I believe that although Google has a patent relating to LSI, ...
    Do you mean the original PageRank paper?

Quote Originally Posted by thefandango View Post
    , they are some way off creating anything getting close to true LSI?
    What do you mean by true LSI? Isn't that relatively simple mathematical models that should not be difficult to implement for any native search engine company?

More relevant link: LSI-Related Publications (Articles, Reports, and Books)