Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domain squatting?

Re: Domain squatting?

Quote Originally Posted by puamana View Post
    You could try backordering the domain? Godaddy does have a mechanism for this. Talk to Godaddy support and I"m sure they can give you some pointers.

puamana
    Backordering should be Step 2, Start with directly purchasing from the current owner.
    If you think he's going to let it expire, gently let him know that what you're willing to pay today is cash in pocket. If he isn't going to use it anything, whatever you pay him is bonus money to him.
    Does it currently have an active website? How old is the domain name?
    These are important questions to know the answer to. If he has put a lot of work into it
    he may not want to lose it to an anonymous registrar. If you can make him comfortable with your plans for the domain he may be more comfortable with selling it to you. Most of us have put our blood, sweat and tears into our sites. It's like letting your child go. Make him feel good about you as the next phase for this domain.
    Please let us all know how this turns out. It's very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by puamana View Post
    You could try backordering the domain? Godaddy does have a mechanism for this. Talk to Godaddy support and I"m sure they can give you some pointers.

puamana
    If you do decide to "back order" the domain..all you have to do is put the domain name in the registrar (Godaddy etc) domain search and click on "backorder"...then you pay for it and once the domain becomes available it is yours!

Hi I'm a web desinger/own a number of domains and encourage you to spend $200 to get the name directly.
    One big suggestion is to be sure you already have an active Godaddy account set up. Then you could just visit the gentleman and either call Godaddy support or push the domain to your account. Be careful on how you manage the transaction. You said he had a stroke so take care that no other family member thinks you are trying to take advantage of the situation. As to back ordering I use SnapNames. I have a Domain discount membership with Godaddy and used to use enom.
    Here are the steps:
    1) Set up your GoDaddy account and call their support to let them know what you are doing that way you have a contact. Ask them for the reccommended steps. Verify that my step #3 is correct.
    2) Arrange the meeting. Bring the $$ and perhaps some coffee etc. Bring a written receipt to cover yourself.
    3) Following the transaction of the deal- unlock the domain and request the account change.
    Note this make take some time to take effect. Be ready to call them with his account info and PIN in case you get hung up.
    This is a fairly serious business transaction so be careful.
    Oh and he is not actually domain squatting unless you heard him say that. Some folks get very testy if you use that term.

So, the domain expired and no one else picked it up - I was checking the whois one day and jumped on it when I saw it was available. I've owned it for about 3 months now.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. All very good information, unfortunately, none of it really fit into this specific situation. I would definitely take the advice outlined above in any future dealings such as this.
    Rick - Hidden Content
    allin-enterprises.com | VaGunForum.net | all-in-general.com | FlashlightSales.com |

Congratulations. Do you care to share the domain name with us?