Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domain squatting?

Question Domain squatting?

There's a domain that I want and I believe that the current owner (to whom I have spoken) is going to let it expire at the end of February. The domain record has an expiration date of Feb 28 2010.

What is the best way for me to lay claim to it before it expires so that no one else can jump on it before I do?

Also, what is the sequence that occurs when someone lets a domain expire? Do they have a grace period? When should this domain be available for registration?

Thanks!
    Rick - Linux Tutorials for Beginners
    allin-enterprises.com | VaGunForum.net | all-in-general.com | FlashlightSales.com |

Re: Domain squatting?

Well...from my experience in this field, as I offer hosting and have dealt with expired domains etc. your best bet is to try to talk to the owner before it expires as many many domain registrars, after the expiration date and if the domain hasn't been renewed will sweep it up and put it on the market and premium prices.

Beg if you have to, send him a picture of a horses head (no don't do that) but try to get control of his before the end of Feb. Offer him some cash, but if this doesn't work I think you're going to have to pay more than you expected through the registrar after that date.

Remember too, there is about a 1 to 3 month grace period too where the registrar will, even if you haven't renewed, give you some extra time, but once that's passed, you might kiss the domain name good-bye.

If I am wrong or there are other options, I'm sure someone will respond with them...

I hope this helped.

I agree with Morestar; try and make a deal with the current owner.

Here's a good article on picking up expired domains:

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/a...xpiring-domain
    and a google of 'domain name expiring reserve' should provide more info.

Godaddy.com offers a "reserve expiring' domain feature, but from what I have heard it's likely a waste of money unless you are first in line.
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

@morestar I agree completely with the advice you've given.

Speaking from personal experience, since you already know the owner of the domain, you'd better do all you can to buy it from him now rather than waiting for it to expire.

Once it expires, there's a grace period of 3 months given by the registrar for the original owner to renew their registration. During this period loads of people who are interested in the domain would be waiting for same like 'vultures'. And if the domain is eventually dropped by the registrar, the chances of you getting it back is very slim indeed. It would be very expensive if you have to go through companies that offer to broker a deal to buy back a domain for you.

In my own experience, I lost a top level domain due to sheer carelessness! The hosting company I was using at the time refused to transfer the domain to my new host. So I waited for it to expire hoping that when it did, I would be first in line to get it back.

I waited - spending slepless nights like a vultures - for 2 years untill it became available again! And by share luck, the very moment it became available I was the first to buy it back!

So please learn from my experience and do what you can to get it now before its too late.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Interestingly enough, the current owner lives about 20 miles away from me. He had a stroke a year or so ago and I found it a little difficult to discuss the domain with him over the phone. The domain is registered with GoDaddy. Maybe I'll just take some cash up to his door and offer to help him with the transfer and everything.

Thanks again for the info!
    Rick - Linux Tutorials for Beginners
    allin-enterprises.com | VaGunForum.net | all-in-general.com | FlashlightSales.com |

Ya...for $200.00 he'll probably invite you in for a tea and let you sit with him and sort it all out. Good idea.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by krnl View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. Interestingly enough, the current owner lives about 20 miles away from me. He had a stroke a year or so ago and I found it a little difficult to discuss the domain with him over the phone. The domain is registered with GoDaddy. Maybe I'll just take some cash up to his door and offer to help him with the transfer and everything.

Thanks again for the info!
    Fabulous idea. Do not wait for it to expire. If this guy is not renewing it and
    you know him well enough to knock on his door, do it.

Yes. It is best that you personally talk with him and offer him a some of money to take care of the transfer to your own domain registrar. That will definitely save you a lot of trouble in case someone else grab the domain when it expired.
    Find Out More About Renting Thai Amulets For Blessing Of Protection in Well Being & Wealth | Destiny of Fate | Exploring, Understanding & Learning The Basic Feng Shui Art Of Placement To Build Wealth & Harmony With Friends, Colleagues And Family Members In Relationships & Careers... Do you want a better lifestyle? Check it out today!

You could try backordering the domain? Godaddy does have a mechanism for this. Talk to Godaddy support and I"m sure they can give you some pointers.

puamana
    The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference
    between lightning and the lightning bug. ~ Mark Twain

www.puamanawebdesign.com - Dynamic, Imaginative, Affordable Web Design

Hi krnl,

I agree with everything that everyone here has said and the critical thing here is NOT to let the domain expire.

Even if the current owner can't make up his mind on a price to sell the domain to you, offer to pay the renewal cost (plus a little bonus?) in the meantime while you negotiate a price. That way you buy two years' worth of time and breathing space in which to settle on a price and complete the transfer. Also, the current owner is not out of pocket in any way.

Another possibility to make it easier for him (and if it is his only domain) would be to 'buy' access to his control panel from him. Then you could handle the whole renewal, ownership transfer and registrar transfer yourself from there.

Hope it all works out, I know what it's like to lose a domain and for it to fall into the hands of some dodgy broker that is looking for a fast buck through someone's misfortune. I know that there is nothing illegal in this but ethically, it sucks!!

Cheers,

Duncan
    Pole Position Internet Services Ltd
    http://www.poleposition.uk.com