Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: General SEO Mistakes

General SEO Mistakes

Duplicated content removed.

Re: General SEO Mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by seokinguk View Post
    1. Targetting the wrong keywords :
    This is a mistake many people make and what is worse – even experienced SEO experts make it. People choose keywords that in their mind are descriptive of their website but the average users just may not search them...
    I would say this is huge for some people - especially if they indeed want to target the highest searched terms related to their genre/indsutry/product/services.

If they do want the most traffic for their related search terms they need to find the terms that are searched the most or as I would call it the top searched words.

Doing so successfully from an SEO perspctive will get their site at least displaying more often to searchers and hopefully click-throughs will increase as well.

6. Concentrating too much on meta tags:
    A lot of people seem to think SEO is about getting your meta keywords and description correct! In fact, meta tags are becoming (if not already) a thing of the past. You can create your meta keywords and descriptions but don't except to rank well only because of this.
    I think the more emphasis one places on their meta description the higher their click-through will be. Ads on Adwords are a good example. If the Ad title isn't compelling, it's been tested and apparently proven that people will be less likely to click on that ad.

Some say the meta description is useless and not used. I tend to create calls-to-action in my meta description and they ALWAYS get picked up and used by Google for instance.

A carefully crafted meta description can do wonders for your click-through-rates and IMO your rankings as well as keywords can be carefully placed in them.

10. Lack of keywords in the content:
    Once you focus on your keywords, modify your content and put the keywords wherever it makes sense. It is even better to make them bold or highlight them.
    Very true...internal linking using your keywords as the anchor text is so important and also does wonders for your rankings and even helps build Site Links in Google's SERPs. Well, the SiteLinks is not fully proven but I'm inclined to believe that you can help google with crafty interlinking discover which pages to use as SiteLinks.

Some say the meta description is useless and not used. I tend to create calls-to-action in my meta description and they ALWAYS get picked up and used by Google for instance.

Yea, I've made the keyword mistake before. I got all the way to #1 on google and then didn't convert. D:

That's great advice. I think that targeting the right keywords is the most important thing. What the google pro's do is to test keywords on paid search before they even start optimizing for that keyword. if you have the budget then that's the best startegy