Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which CMS?

Re: Which CMS?

Here is a link to all the wordpress plugins on their site....
    wordpress › wordpress Plugins

On the same page there are also free themes as well. There are also other places on the net to find plugins and themes.

I think if you look through the plugins you will find most if not all of what you need.

Here is there showcase of well know sites using wordpress, from this you can get a idea of what you can do with the CMS.
    wordpress › Showcase

Hope this help.

Thanks, i'll choose something from e107, wordpress and Drupal.

Just wanted to through my 2 cents in before you make your mind up.

We have been using Silver Stripe for the past year, deployed in 10+ sites, and will not go back to anything else. The most flexible CMS with a really good end user experience.

Templates are easier to build than any other CMS I have used. No over complicated programming just simple presentation logic so if you have separate web designers it is easy for them to work with.

Extending the CMS is also very easy they have based it on frame work called sapphire which is somewhat similar to cake PHP but better.

For the beginner on their website they have two very well layout tutorial to help you learn and understand how the system works. Although the community is small compared to other open source CMS, it is quality, we have always been able to find the answers we are after and there is only one way it is going to get bigger and that is if other people participate.

Check it our silverstripe dot org
    to see it in action check out hive dot net dot au

(sorry have not posted that many posts so it wont let me put links in not very usefull for a long time reader first time poster, damn spamers)
    Adam Stead
    Need to Text... Have a need to contact large client base quickly and cheaply sms.hive.net.au

I am up to ten posts so now i can put the links in to make it easier for everyone

More information on silverstripe SilverStripe.org - Open Source CMS / Framework
    See it in the wild: Web Design | Web Development | Web Hosting | Gold Coast Hive Web Development and Design
    Adam Stead
    Need to Text... Have a need to contact large client base quickly and cheaply sms.hive.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by newn View Post
    Well, i was talking about SQL exploits. There's lots and lots of them for Joomla.
    Don't think there are "lot's and lots" of unpatched SQL exploits at present (touching wood and with fingers crossed and remembering the "unsinkable" Titanic... ) - but its been around for long enough to have had some well publicised ones in the past.

But the same can be said for probably most established OS CMS - Wordpress (which I also use and like) has also had some pretty well documented flaws in the past, and reiterations of PHP and MySQL development mean that what might be safe now, might not always be so in the future, which is why you should choose a system with an active project development team that are keeping the system updated.

Quote Originally Posted by newn View Post
    Okay, i'll list them:
    I need to implement other pages (stats and bans) into the website, so it will open as a page or something like that.
    I need FAQ page.
    I need nice downloads system.
    I need just a simple custom pages system.
    I need a nice theme (looking for someone who could help wit that...).
    I need poll plugin (Based on Ajax is the best).
    I need a shoutbox on the side.
    I need some news page (starting page).
    I need adverts widget (side thingy), so i can put some google ads and other adverts.
    I need a forum. If there is no forum, then a very nice PHPbb linking system.
    I need a server status widget, so my Counter Strike Source servers are show (map, image, players, names, slots, connect DNS).
    I need a SQL DB backup plugin.
    I guess that's all. I guess i missed nothing.
    Thanks.
    And this is where your security problems really start - some of these are core for most of the CMS on your list. Most CMS core functionality is well supported in terms of security, but the moment you start to add 3rd party widgets and plug ins, you are introducing the potential for exploits - historically I think more problems with CMS systems being compromised are via 3rd party components and bridges than exploits in the core.

Exploits in these are also published and as they are often not so well supported the exploits can remain unpatched for extended periods - for example on more than one occasion we've had people scan a site for a series of published exploits in Joomla third party plug ins, and I guess this happens with other systems as well.

The bottom line is whatever you choose, you have to work on the assumption that it will NOT be 100% secure, and at some point it WILL come under attack, and plan accordingly, and that means making sure you keep the core and all 3rd party elements up to date, and of course have a good backup regime!
    Clarrie
    www.dvisions.co.uk - lose the camouflage and stand out...

Thanks guys. Personally i like Joomla because of nice admin control panel.
    I like e107, i don't know why, maybe because it's updated often.
    I like Stripes, because it's made in sapphire.
    I like Wordpress, because it's pretty nice.

I drop WP because it's mainly made for blogs.
    I won't drop other three. Well, still no answer from the hosting company. Waiting...

Sorry for no links... building up on my posts :P

Drupal - I want to use it more but it's getting past the initial learning curve. Very flexible if you have time.
    Joomla - my most used CMS. Too many extensions.
    wordpress - easy to use/update, and great on SEO.

I've used Joomla on a large range of sites and there are indeed plenty of extensions out there to match your list.

I need to implement other pages (stats and bans) into the website, so it will open as a page or something like that.
    Stats and bans? You mean for Counter-Strike? There used to be a extension called serverstat but I don't think it's supported for 1.5.x

I need FAQ page.
    A couple of FAQ extensions but I just use a standard article and save on installing a 3rd party mod.

I need nice downloads system.
    Look into Joomlatools DOCMAN.

I need just a simple custom pages system.
    Need more explanation.

I need a nice theme (looking for someone who could help wit that...).
    Start looking at Rocket themes, Compass Designs, Joomlart.. tonnes more commercial but they are really good and with your HTML/CSS/PHP you can strip them down and make a decent theme.

I need poll plugin (Based on Ajax is the best).
    Search Joomla extension directory.Too many and I've not used them.

I need a shoutbox on the side.
    Search Joomla extension directory.

I need some news page (starting page).
    Default Joomla function. Can specify blog style to make it multi-column and much more.

I need adverts widget (side thingy), so i can put some google ads and other adverts.
    Module manager lets you add "custom html". Add javascript and other code here for shinies.

I need a forum. If there is no forum, then a very nice PHPbb linking system.
    Don't use a bridge. I stick to a separate solution in case one gets hacked - although truth be told generally they will get your whole box anyway.

I need a server status widget, so my Counter Strike Source servers are show (map, image, players, names, slots, connect DNS).
    I used one a while back for BF2, not sure about CS:S. Like I said, serverstat looks to be dead...Also check out TSViewer if you used TeamSpeak.

I need a SQL DB backup plugin.

JoomlaPack - absolute life-saver and a must install. AJAX too

Something you missed: WYSIWYG Editor.
    Get JCE - Joomla Content Editor - it's fab.

Also, I use the core Joomla SEF functions as the 3rd party mods are too cumbersome. Not perfect for SEF but near enough

Security is not a big issue if you keep this all up-to-date, and are with a good host. I've seen some people hacked running the same CMS but on a different host.

crossland, yea, i kinda like that one. Already looked at it. Just forgot to put it in the last post.
    gavjof - thanks for a very detailed answer.
    Well, i guess Joomla have everything i need. Anyways, since today i didn't get any answer from many webhost companies i'v wrote, i wait 'till tommorow evening and i'll take one then. And i'm mostly exited about Joomla, CMSMS and e107.
    Oh, and about stats. I'm using Psychostats and Sourcebans, so i only need to integrate them into a page. Like... You press home it takes you to home on the same website... Downloads means downloads on the same window and let's say you press stats it normally takes you into a totally different page, but i want them to be in the same page. That's what i ment with custom pages and stats systems.

With any of them, if you make considerable alterations to the core... you will make yourself incompatible with future upgrades...

If you plan to do this for a long time and you gain any sort of enemies they will be able to take your site out...

Worst case scenario... they will attack you before you get a chance to upgrade... it happens...

I am not familiar with counter strike... but it sounds like it has the potential for people to game or at the very least break into the system... That's why I mention it... (You would be surprised at how many people poke around a website...)

I would test ride all three before you commit... and remember that not all plug-ins remain compatible from one core upgrade to the next... so if you can find one cms which has almost everything you need versus a CMS which has everything you need but with plug-ins... the one without plug-ins might be your better bet...

Thank you. And yea, CS:S got many, many enemies. Especially kids. For example they are having fun teamkilling, cheating or mic spamming. I ban them for a week or so. For a day. Maybe a few days. So here you go an enemy. But well, i'm not considering to do any core alterations. I Will upgrade my core and all lplugins when there's update avaible.
    Probally the only thing i'll change is a theme. I want to make my own, but i have no such experience, so i'm looking for someone to help with that. If i can't find anyone, i will just try to change some theme. Other things will be untouched.