Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SEO Should Be Dead

SEO Should Be Dead

I want to start by saying I do not believe in onsite SEO or believe that it will still exist five years from now.

SEO is about things like; optimizing a keyword in the H1 tag, enhancing the title tag, keyword density, keyword proximity, internal linking with proper anchor text, validating your code, using CSS over tables, optimal use of flash and Java, we know the search engines like certain standards, so we use them.

However, if your web designer is on top of his/her game then they should be developing quality websites that go by the book.

Your site should validate!

They should reduce the size of your images!

They should design the site without tables!

Flash should be a movie or used sparingly and not be the entire website!

If your web designer builds a quality, well built website, by the book then it is optimized for the search engines.

Now, as the website owner, if you want people to come back to your site then you need to have fresh content. And you also need to understand the jargon people use when searching for your product or service and implement that into the text.

You do this for your website visitors however, the search engines will love you for it and itís the final step in onsite optimization.

Onsite optimization is about the design and common sense.

But What about Off-Site Optimization, which carries more weight than on-site optimization?

If you have a local business then common sense says handout flyers, business cards, run ads on the local cable channel, put signs on your car, attend trade shows, chamber meetings and speak at local events as well as get involved in school, sports and church.

If you have an internet business then common sense should say post on forums, blogs, and directories, write articles, create profiles on social media sites and do videos. Those things will also build back links and increase the visibility and ranking of your website.

Social media is a part of online marketing just like schools, sporting events and church is part of offline marketing, rather we like it or now.

Google understands more then we think or want to give them credit for, the best way to rank in Google is too ignore them.

Just My Two Cents

Re: SEO Should Be Dead

Quote Originally Posted by janeth View Post
    I want to start by saying I do not believe in onsite SEO or believe that it will still exist five years from now.

SEO is about things like; optimizing a keyword in the H1 tag, enhancing the title tag, keyword density, keyword proximity, internal linking with proper anchor text, validating your code, using CSS over tables, optimal use of flash and Java, we know the search engines like certain standards, so we use them.

However, if your web designer is on top of his/her game then they should be developing quality websites that go by the book.

Your site should validate!

They should reduce the size of your images!

They should design the site without tables!

Flash should be a movie or used sparingly and not be the entire website!

If your web designer builds a quality, well built website, by the book then it is optimized for the search engines.

Now, as the website owner, if you want people to come back to your site then you need to have fresh content. And you also need to understand the jargon people use when searching for your product or service and implement that into the text.

You do this for your website visitors however, the search engines will love you for it and itís the final step in onsite optimization.

Onsite optimization is about the design and common sense.

But What about Off-Site Optimization, which carries more weight than on-site optimization?

If you have a local business then common sense says handout flyers, business cards, run ads on the local cable channel, put signs on your car, attend trade shows, chamber meetings and speak at local events as well as get involved in school, sports and church.

If you have an internet business then common sense should say post on forums, blogs, and directories, write articles, create profiles on social media sites and do videos. Those things will also build back links and increase the visibility and ranking of your website.

Social media is a part of online marketing just like schools, sporting events and church is part of offline marketing, rather we like it or now.

Google understands more then we think or want to give them credit for, the best way to rank in Google is too ignore them.

Just My Two Cents

I agree, Janeth. The designer's efforts should address all the on-site issues, following established standards. The external efforts should be the SEO's responsibility. Obviously, the standards have to be strictly followed, in order for that to work.

And there's the rub!

First off validation and tables vs css is very optional and has zero to do with SEO. Second onsite SEO is not going anywhere. Designers have no interest in on-site SEO. They don't know what it is nor do they care because clients don't know what it is. They are hired to make something pretty.

A designer would have to charge extra to validate and clients are not going to pay for that. Having 200 nested tables on one page is bad because it is hard to make changes to later but has zero to do with SEO. Doing a complicated design in CSS takes longer and people are not going to want to pay extra for that. Not to mention if they have to make the CSS look the same in all browsers.

Sums it up nicely. Can I borrow it? If only clients knew what THEIR role is in their own site's success in the SE's. The part about building a proper document is still lost on a lot of people who think it takes more work, it's harder, it's full of problems, &c. It is very helpful to tomorrow's web if documents are strictly presented in a universal fashion but browsers of tomorrow (and SE's) will still render and crawl old style code long into the future, I'm sure. So let folks do what they will.

I'm sure Google would like it if we just ignored them, too. My two cents.

I have yet to see any proof that any of the major SE's gives a damn about validated code, or css over tables. The one advantage I 'can' see about css is that you can position text on the page to be seen first in a textual scan of the page (SE's) and yet have the text be positioned where you actually want it for visitors.
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters

I will admit that on page SEO does not play a huge roll for hard-to-get terms. It might move you up a few spaces and can be made up with some links. On page can increase traffic quite a bit when it comes to long tail. People are always going to need SEO's to tell them what to do. Even if a designer does all the stuff you mention the client still needs to be told to create more content and how to seo that content. Designers don't think past front page and the template. It is our job after that.

Quote Originally Posted by ogletreeseo View Post
    I will admit that on page SEO does not play a huge roll for hard-to-get terms. It might move you up a few spaces and can be made up with some links. On page can increase traffic quite a bit when it comes to long tail. People are always going to need SEO's to tell them what to do. Even if a designer does all the stuff you mention the client still needs to be told to create more content and how to seo that content. Designers don't think past front page and the template. It is our job after that.
    I agree, but if there one day exists a solid standard, and some meaningful way of enforcing it, I think it will simplify the SEO's job, when the designer follows those standards.

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    I have yet to see any proof that any of the major SE's gives a damn about validated code, or css over tables. The one advantage I 'can' see about css is that you can position text on the page to be seen first in a textual scan of the page (SE's) and yet have the text be positioned where you actually want it for visitors.
    I agree 100% but since so many people claim it does I figured I'd include it here.

People used to claim that links were not important too. We didn't stop setting that record straight.

The people claiming validation and css over tables matters to search spiders are the people wanting to try to make a name for themselves any way they can. Personally I see no percentage in allowing them to even think they might be right, when everything to date has shown otherwise.
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters

I suspect SEO of the future. will be more like a commercial real estate agent. something akin to Offering rented space in shopping malls.

not a re-run of the web ring. . but a similar philosophy with a single agent (SEO) creating and implementing a precise cross flow of text and other links between a cooperative (mall) of maybe 20 or 30 separate but interlinking sites.

I think the SEO possibilities will prosper. But based on 'trust' The SEO being the trusted one to manipulate the linking structures, and any other inter-site cooperative duties. like a team captain, a coach, property manager approach.

I am looking at this possibility, and how it could be implemented.

classic cars - directory - Southern cross Engines
    If Optimising for google gives you a headache? - try optimising your Users