Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google in India

Google in India

Do people in India see the same search results as Americans? I assume the answer is no, but can someone explain why? Also, if you want your website to attract visitors from India what would you have to do? I am just learning how the internet works so I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

Re: Google in India

Most major search engines use what is called geotargeting. Basically they attempt to better rank sites that are deemed more relevant for the target region. They look at various factors when determining a site's relevancy to a region:
    -domain extension, ie a .co.in domain would probably get a bit of a boost
    -they might check where the domain was registered and/or hosted
    -they could check if your site has a local address for that area listed on your site
    -they could check how your backlinks reinforce that regional relevancy

Usually you just have to build up enough links related to that region. Also it may help to get links from web directories that have a regionally sorted section.

Quote Originally Posted by fdel15 View Post
    Do people in India see the same search results as Americans? I assume the answer is no, but can someone explain why? Also, if you want your website to attract visitors from India what would you have to do? I am just learning how the internet works so I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.
    There are many Google sites like, google.com, google.co.in, google.pk etc. When a user from a country open google, by default the local google SE site opens.

Results in these different google sites is different.

You can use webmaster tools to target any specific geographical location.
    Backlinks from sites belonging to that specific country will also help.
    Content related to that country will help.
    Domain extension is important.
    Your hosting location can also impact.

Thank you very much for both of your responses they have both been very informative. Is there any way that i could check to see what my Google ranking would be in India? Also, I was wondering if there was some sort of database that I could look up which URLs targeted which regions.

I think you can do it through a database, I am sorry but I don't remember the name as I am not tech expert. But, I knew about it as I had read it earlier somewhere, you should try asking this question to other members. It is true that Google shows different results in different countries and it automatically log you in according to the country itself.

Smile Re: Google in India

Quote Originally Posted by fdel15 View Post
    Is there any way that i could check to see what my Google ranking would be in India? Also, I was wondering if there was some sort of database that I could look up which URLs targeted which regions.
    Hi, You can use a proxy to check results or you can check your ranking through Google Adwords preview tool which can show you ranking of your website in different countries, or if you are firefox user you can get Google Global extension.

Can having a .co.in or just a .in domain affect your ability to receive inernational traffic? My question is, will it restrict your site to mostly Indian visitors or will it have no impact on international visitors but still boost Indian visitors?

A. They are different due to request from an IP originating from India. They are served results depending upon the data center, server location, personalized approach etc.

B. You will have to host your site on Indian servers. Get local information on the site content. Get in bound link from Indian sites (server location). Use web master tools to set preferred location. Get a domain extension relating to India..

Regards
    The jalthi king awakes!~

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy80 View Post
    Most major search engines use what is called geotargeting. Basically they attempt to better rank sites that are deemed more relevant for the target region. They look at various factors when determining a site's relevancy to a region:
    -domain extension, ie a .co.in domain would probably get a bit of a boost
    -they might check where the domain was registered and/or hosted
    -they could check if your site has a local address for that area listed on your site
    -they could check how your backlinks reinforce that regional relevancy

Usually you just have to build up enough links related to that region. Also it may help to get links from web directories that have a regionally sorted section.
    I would like to add something more:

try to get inbound links from co.in sites
    try to incorporate the term India in your website url: abc-india.com
    try to use the word India in your website meta title, meta description and in the body content.

WebProWorld MVP

Using the word INDIA will will definitely boost your web rankings.
    As some one said, .co.in domains are India specific.