Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what resolution for web photos.

what resolution for web photos.

I want to put some still photos on my site. What is the recommended resolution?

Waiting to your help.

Re: what resolution for web photos.

All our client site images are usually saved at 72 pixels per inch for web delivery. For a stylish gallery of images, we will typically use a little less compression, meaning the file size is a bit higher, but even these images are still 72 ppi.
    Hidden Content Solutions in Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design for business
    Hidden Content - Spread your business message locally and around the world!

For web LD is correct. On the off chance you may wish to give free wallpaper, make the thumbnail 72 ppi and the full size image 96 ppi, which is the typical pitch for most displays.

Sidebar:
    If your question relates to aspect ratio ( width : height ) then there really is no clear answer, just as the answer is not clear for screen resolution ( [800 | 1024 | 1280 | 1365/1366] X [600 | 768 | 768/800/1024 | 768/960/1024] ). Just tossing this in.

Good point about aspect ratio weegillis. Putting the cart before the horse, if images are the main focal point of your presentation (assuming web again) then consider designing your interface around the image aspect ratio keeping in mind what average monitor resolution your target audience might use.

For example in the last 30 days the monitor resolution of our site visitors was (highest first) 1024x768 (30%), 1280x800 (22%), 1280x1024 (17%) and it degrades from there with various other screen resolutions. Your web statistics should provide the above information including OS, browser type, screen colours and much more.

Hope that helps.
    Hidden Content Solutions in Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design for business
    Hidden Content - Spread your business message locally and around the world!

72 pixels, jpg or gif,png.

You can put a 300dpi photo on a web page, but it's going to be HUGE file and your pages will take forever to load if you have many photos to display.

Saying your image has 90 000 pixels of 32 bit depth in a square inch and the image actually having that amount of definition are two different things. You will always have a hard time making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Not only is resolution a factor, size is, too.

One can easily assume we would show little inclination toward wallpaper sized usage of a 1 inch by 1 inch image (unless it is our logo in the center of the screen with background color set). It is preferable to begin with a picture that is larger than the view port you intend it for.

I possess little of the wherewithal it takes to make a smaller image look good when magnified if I haven't started with a huge image to begin with. Even then, it's one of those things. You too will be vexed in this same way, trust me.

The web is about optimization and browser friendliness. What you share on the web is about compatibility and utility. Size and spec pictures for the web, for the web (usually 72 ppi) and pictures for other usage according to what works best.

You will find that a high quality image at 300 dpi in 6" x 6" format that works awesome for album cover art in iTunes may offer different results in a web page.

Hi,
    Use 72 dpi for images. Also make sure that the size of the jpg file is the same size as the display size in your image tags always include width and height.
    After taking over my website from third parties I made it actually 6 times smaller just by doing this!!

Once you have done this throughout your site you may wish to compress your images further....there are many good compression programmes out there and also in Photoshop and other photo editing programmes.

I find that Advanced JPEG Compressor 2008 works well and gives me good control on image quality...this made a huge difference to my page load time as my site is very image heavy due to the nature of what we are marketing.

Step 1 Size the image at 72 dpi with a photo editor and save as the size you want it to display.
    Step 2 Compress the image further with a compression program while retaining the required quality.
    Step 3 Upload to you site (overwrite old larger images...

Rod
    RCAmedia
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Abbotson View Post
    Step 2 Compress the image further with a compression program while retaining the required quality.
    Hardly. That is, hardly, meaning painfully...

Take care not to lose the visual information you want to convey. Would you sacrifice information quality in an image? Better to spend the bytes.

720 pixels wide by 480 pixels tall..
    Hidden Content -For a cleaner, smoother, faster embroidery