Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: robots.txt and htaccess for multiple domains on one hosting account

Re: robots.txt and htaccess for multiple domains on one hosting account

Basically I don't want to see addon domain folder in main domain e.g. maindomain.com/abc (here abc is a folder of abc.com domain) At the same time if i create any subfolder in main domain e.g. xyz then it should be look like maindomain.com/xyz

I have already used "Options -Indexes" but it shows error 404 error in 2nd case as well and unable to do ErrorDocument 404 /error.html

WebProWorld MVP

RedirectMatch 404 abc/.*

That should cause a 404 for the folder abc, but you need to create yourself a 404 error page.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manpasand View Post
    Basically I don't want to see addon domain folder in main domain e.g. maindomain.com/abc (here abc is a folder of abc.com domain) At the same time if i create any subfolder in main domain e.g. xyz then it should be look like maindomain.com/xyz
    What do you mean by "I don't want to see ..." and "it should look like ..."?

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    What do you mean by "I don't want to see ..." and "it should look like ..."?
    I can visit addon domain website through www.maindomain.com/abc (here abc is a folder of abc.com domain) which I want to restrict.

Quote Originally Posted by Manpasand View Post
    I can visit addon domain website through www.maindomain.com/abc (here abc is a folder of abc.com domain) which I want to restrict.
    Understood.

Who is to be denied access to this sub-directory?

And, who is to be allowed access?

I once tried to set up a 301 redirect and htaccess file in one of my domains main folder. I entered the full code that I got from a forum. The code was very legit. I followed instructions very well. It just didn't work. Then I checked the web hosts faq and it was either just too much to handle, or it was clear that a htaccess file and a 301 redirect could not be set up with this web host.

The only way they give you to redirect domain is by http or frame redirect.

They have an amazing cpanel. So I hope that they would not give us a business package where you can just keep adding domains and sub-domains, unless they had it set up, so that when we get the domains going there would be no mixing of the folders from one domain to another.

Why doesn't a major web host just give us a 3rd or 4th option in the cpanel destination tab. It should be http - frame- 301 - 302 - redirect. Take your pick. Without us having to do any code work just press the button.

Or if they gave us simple instructions on what to do with their codes and our file pages etc within their system to get a 301 redirect going for a domain or web page, that would be ok to.

Did you ever notice that one of the most important things you needed to do for a website is have a 301 redirect for a web page that you want to change the name, but so many people run into this problem where it can't be done with their web host, or for any other number of reasons. That is that they can't get the htaccess and/or the 301 redirect to work.

Everywhere you read that the only correct redirect is a 301 redirect. But go try and do one if it doesn't work as you follow all the instructions carefully because somehow thew webhost system gets in the way of it working out.

If you have alot of domains in a business package and have been with a web host for a long time and you like everything else about them, just leaving them for a web host who does offer 301 redirect is not an option.

Why isn't that a standard option for redirect settings in a major web hosts cpanel in the destination tab for domains in a business package?

At least part of the differences owe to the different web servers in use, and how each handles management of authentication and configuration.

For example, while Apache supports decentralized management of the web server configuration via directory configuration files, with htaccess being the commonly used default name, Miscrosoft's IIS does not. Additionally, Apache uses the underlying UNIX file permissions, along with the htaccess file, to to control access; IIS, on the other hand, handles authentication via Windows Server directory services.

These 2 web servers account for approx. 85% of the sites hosted; the remaining 15% use Google's GWS, nginx, lighttpd, or others.

While some hosts provide a choice of web servers, generally Apache or IIS, not all do so.

Given that there is not a universally common set of methods for authentication and configuration, there can be no common cpanel.