1. Choose a free publishing tool/site - I suggest newbie to use blogger because based on my experience and based on what I've heard... wordpress is for experts.
2. Blog's URL - Your URL should be very related to your blog. (unless you're branding). When making the proper URL of your blog I suggest you use easy to remember words and you can also use "-" instead of "_".
3. Add Meta Keywords|Description|Title - This will help your blog to be index by search engines.
4. Sitemap (by means of Google Webmaster Tool) - Use this tool for Google's faster indexing.
5. Link-Building - Posted below are ways about link building.
* article submission
* forum posting (through signature)
* web directory submission
* blog directory submission
* participating in community sites like Yahoo Answers
* press release submission
* online group posting
* promotional ads
* link exchange
Tips in properly optimizing your webpage title:
* Include the name of your business/ name of the website
* Include your targeted keywords
* Include your city/location
* Use different title tag for every page but the title should reflect the content that can be found in the particular webpage.
* Use short web page titles because it can be easily read by visitors. Do not use special characters because it might not be properly displayed and your website might look strange in a SERP
Title: mico.com - Inexpensive Shirts in Australia
But if the business is new, it is recommended to list your keywords first before the name of your business. Why? It is simply because your business it not yet popular and people might be looking for solutions to their problem. (In the example listed above, the keyword "Inexpensive Shirts was used to provide short but very informative information about your webpage.
Title: Inexpensive Shirts in Australia - mico.com
Hope it helps.