Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog Inner Linking

Blog Inner Linking

Iíve got a blog Iíve been playing with and trying to get to rank for a certain keyword. The blog has done really well and ranks in the top ten for most every post we make within minutes. Of course we try to focus on long tail keywords however; we do go after the competitive keywords from time to time and can hold our own there as well.

I made a post the other day for one of the keywords I wanted to rank for and immediately landed the #4 spot. However, when I checked back a couple days later we had dropped to page two; this bothered me enough to make a new post. The first thought was that in order to hold the rankings with the blog I would need to retarget the keywords I wanted to rank for about once a week.

But as I made the post I decided to link the new post to the old post using my keyword as the anchor text. Within an hour the old post had come back to the first page however, this time we moved up a spot to #3.

We have been able to hold onto the #3 spot for about two weeks now. Iíve seen a lot of bloggers that link back to old post in their articles. I do believe I understand why now and itís something I plain to do more of in the very near future.

I just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had any similar experience or a better way to do this they wanted to share.

Re: Blog Inner Linking

janeth, you should soon change your signature to

SEO expert

That new blog posts (fresh content) go to the top is nothing new.

Your way to keep the position is new to me.

Personally I have experienced that Google has indexed a WPW post before I am finished editing it.

Only one keep #1 position:

Google

advanced semantic linking
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

As far as posts that "pop" towards the top initially, it's really nothing new as kgun pointed out. My own personal opinion is that it has to do with the "minty fresh" approach Google has taken for some time now. Not unusual for a LT phrase or post to show up nicely within an hour of being made...
    <side note>
    This is where one can try to fine tune their posts as to "when" they are made to maximize that initial exposure.
    </side note>
    After that initial "pop" all the other factors start to kick in which is why the internal linking can play a role.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kgun View Post
    Personally I have experienced that Google has indexed a WPW post before I am finished editing it.

Only one keep #1 position:

Google

advanced semantic linking
    I've not watched it on forums before but guess I'll start.

Quote Originally Posted by crankydave View Post
    As far as posts that "pop" towards the top initially, it's really nothing new as kgun pointed out. My own personal opinion is that it has to do with the "minty fresh" approach Google has taken for some time now. Not unusual for a LT phrase or post to show up nicely within an hour of being made...
    <side note>
    This is where one can try to fine tune their posts as to "when" they are made to maximize that initial exposure.
    </side note>
    After that initial "pop" all the other factors start to kick in which is why the internal linking can play a role.

Dave
    Is the pop with any blog or just with blogs that are used a lot?

If a blog sits and no one touches it for a year does it have the same pop as a blog that is used daily?

Quote Originally Posted by janeth View Post
    Is the pop with any blog or just with blogs that are used a lot?

If a blog sits and no one touches it for a year does it have the same pop as a blog that is used daily?
    Most any blog from what I've noticed. Some forums for that matter too.

On your second question, my guess would be yes since brand new blogs get a "pop". I would also guess that it might be more difficult (depending on the term/phrase) to keep the rankings after the initial "pop" since any links would be dated but I've no data to back up my "guess".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by crankydave View Post
    Most any blog from what I've noticed. Some forums for that matter too.

On your second question, my guess would be yes since brand new blogs get a "pop". I would also guess that it might be more difficult (depending on the term/phrase) to keep the rankings after the initial "pop" since any links would be dated but I've no data to back up my "guess".

Dave
    If you bookmarked the post right after you made it and then watched for the fall.

Once the fall starts you create another post that would bounce the first post back to the top.

If you could get it to hold until the links started to kick in then youíd have something. And doing it over and over again would make your blog stronger and stronger allowing it to climb and hold longer and longer with each post.

Your good! Did you do any link building techniques to achieve that great result?

Quote Originally Posted by full house View Post
    Your good! Did you do any link building techniques to achieve that great result?
    This post might explain a little more http://www.webproworld.com/marketing...ree-links.html

Quote Originally Posted by janeth View Post
    Iíve got a blog Iíve been playing with and trying to get to rank for a certain keyword. The blog has done really well and ranks in the top ten for most every post we make within minutes. Of course we try to focus on long tail keywords however; we do go after the competitive keywords from time to time and can hold our own there as well.

I made a post the other day for one of the keywords I wanted to rank for and immediately landed the #4 spot. However, when I checked back a couple days later we had dropped to page two; this bothered me enough to make a new post. The first thought was that in order to hold the rankings with the blog I would need to retarget the keywords I wanted to rank for about once a week.

But as I made the post I decided to link the new post to the old post using my keyword as the anchor text. Within an hour the old post had come back to the first page however, this time we moved up a spot to #3.

We have been able to hold onto the #3 spot for about two weeks now. Iíve seen a lot of bloggers that link back to old post in their articles. I do believe I understand why now and itís something I plain to do more of in the very near future.

I just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had any similar experience or a better way to do this they wanted to share.
    thank you for sharing this experience to us. i think it is valuable to keep your content fresh for google. your method is nice. my friend.