Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Eilati - handpainted furniture & more

Eilati - handpainted furniture & more

Eilati - handpainted furniture & more

eilati dot com

As this is my first time building a web site, I would be happy to get any type of remarks/suggestions, starting with mistakes in English and what ever you think

What you like about it and what you did not like

Please, do not stop at the main page ...

Thanks,

Ofer.

Re: Eilati - handpainted furniture & more

Popup advert.
    I am gone.
    Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
    Popup advert.
    I am gone.
    Thanks Dave for letting me know. I was using unlimitedmb as my free host server and that might be the source for the problem. So I had moved my site to GoDaddy and hope that this will solve it.

Please visit and give me your remarks / suggestions

Happy New Year

Ofer Livni

Your site displays differently in different browsers. It is quite a mess when viewing in Netscape. In all the browsers I tested, the Go Daddy text appears behind your header.

The deep red background is overpowering. The black text on red for your bottom menu is difficult to read.

The pages look cluttered -- you have so much stuff jammed into a small area. You need some padding at the top, bottom and sides of your pages. Everything goes right up to the edge of the browser window, adding to that cluttered feeling.

You have no contact information other than an e-mail link.

Your pricing is not shown consistently throughout the site. Some pages give the price above the photo section. Other pages don't. Some photos when you click on them, show the price for the item. Others don't. You don't state whether you sell your items outside of Canada. If you intend to target US sales, it would be helpful if you would list your prices in US dollars as well or at least offer a link to a converter.

You need professional looking photos of your items. The photos as they are now, look tacky and unprofessional and don't do any justice to your work.

I really liked the kids' safari table. My son would love it!

I would agree with the previous poster - the dark red overwhelms and takes away from the photographs of your items, and I almost missed the footer navigation. Better, bigger photographs of your pieces would be great. I understand the expense of good, professional photographers though. Your work though I'm sure could be better represented than it is here.

I'm used to seeing "inquiries" rather than "enquiries", but both are correct according to the dictionary. Otherwise, no problem with the English that I saw. I imagine most of your business will come from the Vancouver area with the cost of shipping and worries about breakage in shipping, so I would work hard to make sure you come up in search results for your local area.

I didn't check in other browsers - just IE 7. If there is a problem in netscape as the previous poster said, there are cross browser testing sites that you can use for free to test your site on multiple browsers easily. I always code with the latest versions of IE, Firefox, and Opera on my machine then use one of those sites to check everything else.

good luck and good job overall for your first site!

Thanks for the time spend on my site (the artist is my wife, I just build the site for her ...)

Quote Originally Posted by aidsntcg View Post
    Your site displays ... In all the browsers I tested, the Go Daddy text appears behind your header.
    I move to a new server, and hopefully no popups, and no GoDaddy text behind anymore ...

The pages look cluttered -- you have so much stuff jammed into a small area.
    All of them? I was under the (?wrong?) impression that there are a lot of space

You don't state whether you sell your items outside of Canada.
    A
    t this time the target is only the Canadian market as shipment of wood is not cheap.

Your pricing is not shown consistently throughout the site.
    I did not put a price to items which had been done in the past and not for sell, or items which are customers request depended and are shown only to show her abilities.

You need professional looking photos of your items
    I will work on the photos, as learn that are some tricks when creating a transparent background ... I did not used them and now lines looks broken.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolSLC View Post
    I really liked the kids' safari table. My son would love it!
    My wife loved this one ...

I will love to get more remarks, suggestions, everything. I am learning a lot ...

I think your pages appear cluttered to the eye because on all your pages, your text and graphics go right to the edge of the page. The home page is the worse because along with no margins on the outside of your page, you have a lot of photos as your content. You have the photo slide show going on which is surrounded by more photos. The photos of the floor mats, for instance, are crammed together, overlapping. There's a menu to the left and the same menu again at the bottom. You can see both without scrolling ... so there's no need for the bottom menu in this case. There's no space between your banner and the beginning of your content section. The varying shades of dark red background on the whole page weighs down the page even more. There's no white space between anything. A good rule to remember is "less is more."

Browse the web and look at other sites for handpainted furniture for ideas. Visit www.tickledpinkdesigns.com (which I have absolutely nothing to do with, by the way, just found it as a good example of what I'm trying to explain to you) for an example of a good use of white space.

If your sales are limited to Canada, you should state that on your site so that potential purchasers from another part of the world don't fall in love with something you have to only find that they can't buy it from you.

Your wife's artwork is lovely but I think the site can be redesigned to display it nicer.

FireFox 3.0 has a problem with display too. How frustrating when it looks good when you're writing it!

Your images are beautiful, but a bit too large, making for a slow load time. The hidden text around the image on the upper left home page flashes a bit annoying if you hover over it. Might want to also change the copyright to 2009. The site does have some XHTML errors that you could fix and help your SEO.

The site is very attractive, with some very lovely items.

Chris

I would suggest not using transparent background GIFs for your images. That is why you have jagged edges. For the detail in your photographs you need to use JPGs. Dont worry about the background, using a backdrop when photographing would be better.