Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: What does clientTransferProhibited mean?

What does clientTransferProhibited mean?

When I checked the Whois record for one of my websites at Domaintools.com, under Registry Data it says the

Registrar Status - clientTransferProhibited

What does this mean? I have planned to transfer my web hosting to another at the end of next month and would this be a problem?

Please share your experiences valuable ideas.

WebProWorld MVP

Re: What does clientTransferProhibited mean?

The domain is locked, normally you just login to the control panel associated with the domain and select the unlock option. If your current domain registrar doesn't have an unlock option then you need to talk to them.

As a side note if you keep the domain with someone like GoDaddy then you don't have to transfer the domain about to move hosts instead you simply update the domains name server fields to point to those of whichever host you choose to use. This is much quicker/easier than transferring the domain to a new registrar and then updating the nameservers each time you change hosts.

Hi speed. Thank you very much for your ideas. I unlocked the domain and rechecked the Whois record. Still it is the same case. My site is hosted at Yahoo. I want to know whether clientTransferProhibited means that I cannot transfer my host or not.

WebProWorld MVP

That should vanish off the domain, but once it's flagged as unlocked at the registrar you should be able to move it.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar

This RRP Status Code has nothing to do with hosting, but is used to prevent unauthorized transfer of Domain Names (DN).

For complete listing/explanation of DN Status Codes see Guide to Domain Name Status Codes courtesy of WDBC .

Correct - domain transfers and hosting are two different animals. To change hosting all you need to do is change the NS (name space) servers the domain is linked to - this is done from the "manage your domain" function on your domain registrar's website (in your case, Yahoo). You'll be changing it to the URL of the NS servers associated with your new hosting company, they'll provide that info when you sign up at the new hosting company.

Domain name restrictions has to do with changing who the registrar is for your domain - who manages the domain record. When switching registrars, the way you go about doing it is to go to the new registrar's website and request the transfer. This generates an email copy of the request be sent to the existing registrar.

The existing registrar then forwards the request to the admin contact email address noted in the whois record for verification of the requested transfer. You respond to that email and the transfer is then approved and processed, placing the new registrar in control of your domain.

When domain transfers are RESTRICTED, emails from other registrars are IGNORED, since un-known idiots can initiate such requests, and if the verification step is hacked, spoofed or someone managing your email just doesn't know any better, you could lose control of your domain... necessitating a legal battle, and lots of anguish.

To make the switch on a restricted domain all you have to do is go to the existing registrar's website "domain management" function and turn off the restriction right before making the switch. Some registrars might allow you to perform the switch from the domain manager, but generally speaking, they usually don't.

That and they may not be very forthcoming about providing info on doing a transfer away from their service. I know that Yahoo is a bit hard-nosed about transfers, saying other registrars may not be safe. I suppose that's true, to some extent - you should only deal with legitimate registrars - and not get tricked into divulging information to a fake website or perform the request from an otherwise compromised PC, etc.