Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: How to unblock my p2p connection?

How to unblock my p2p connection?

Im on a uni network and theyve blocked p2p as it seems. Ive read lots of info but every piece of it out there suggests that i use a proxy. thing is im already using a proxy to connect to the university network. or maybe i got it wrong, if so please explain what do i need to do. thanks

PS. im not sure where this topic belongs here or not so ill post it in 'security' as well. I hope it is not inappropriate to do so. If it is let me know, ill delete one of them

Re: How to unblock my p2p connection?

Well this is an issue of ports-and you can normally try and run your p2p program through a different port. Try a port checking program (many of the p2p programs help you test your ports) or website, and see what is open. The uni may have only blocked the most commonly used p2p ports, or else they may have blocked everything that isn't really needed for legit stuff.

Unfortunately you might not find a way around this.
    Read the forum rules about signature links.

If you have the benefit of being able to use a uni network you should respect the rules.
    From my experience... p2p = viruses + hackers...
    They have it blocked for a reason.

hi, i think i have the same problem, as a matter of fact i use a service from my univesity and i tried to get some fun with it, so i tried to go to GARENA and i saw that P2P ports were blocked...
    so what are the solution of my problem experts?

Quote Originally Posted by SEO View Post
    If you have the benefit of being able to use a uni network you should respect the rules.
    From my experience... p2p = viruses + hackers...
    They have it blocked for a reason.

Thats a pretty 1 sided view, i have used p2p in various formats for some 10 years now, i don't recall ever getting a virus or being "hacked". The reason universities block p2p is they fear the music and movie cartels taking them to court. P2P is ofc not at all illegal, and technology such as Bittorrent is being widely used and explored by large media corporations such as the BBC for mass file distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    The reason universities block p2p is they fear the music and movie cartels taking them to court.
    Much simpler than that. Why would you even consider allowing students to waste precious bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dog View Post
    Why would you even consider allowing students to waste precious bandwidth.
    So true, bunch of slackers

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    Thats a pretty 1 sided view, i have used p2p in various formats for some 10 years now, i don't recall ever getting a virus or being "hacked". The reason universities block p2p is they fear the music and movie cartels taking them to court. P2P is ofc not at all illegal, and technology such as Bittorrent is being widely used and explored by large media corporations such as the BBC for mass file distribution.
    Amen to that Nooby, I've gotten a virus maybe once off p2p and it was because I got careless. And your completely right about Uni's afraid of the entertainment industries.

There is also the issue that Universities pay for the bandwidth that they provide to students, and they want to limit what that bandwidth is used for so that as much bandwidth as possible is going to be available for educational purposes. One of the larger drains on bandwidth is P2P and media streaming - even online gaming uses only a fraction of that bandwidth.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development