Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are links from blog posts worth the effort?

Are links from blog posts worth the effort?

I am involved with link building for a couple of clients and regularly post on industry blogs on their behalf. This does bring them some direct traffic but it's minimal. I am analysing whether the time spent by me would be better spent on content creation...

Now most blog comments have nofollow added to them is posting on blogs worth it? I know i will get a chorus of "do it for the traffic" but to be honest i have seen very little traffic from the blogs which i post on. This raises the question of whether it is worth the time to do this?

Do people think that the nofollow attribute completely discounts the link or does it just stop PR transfer? Does no follow link text still have an effect on SERPs and semantics?

Also, what (if any) is the difference between rel="nofollow" and rel="external nofollow"?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    My LinkedIn Profile -- Lancaster Builder

Twitter: @mattbennettseo

Re: Are links from blog posts worth the effort?

Does no follow link text still have an effect on SERPs and semantics?
    From robotstxt.org, Source.

The rel="nofollow" is an attribute you can set on an HTML <a> link tag, invented by Google, and adopted by others. Those links won't get any credit when Google ranks websites in the search results, thus removing the main incentive behind blog comment spammers robots.

See Preventing comment spam on the Official Google Blog.

From that description it sounds like it only affects the ranking, and the Google robot may still follow the links and index them. If so, it is different from the robots meta tag NOFOLLOW semantics.

From the official Google Blog, Source.

From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. This isn't a negative vote for the site where the comment was posted; it's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists.
    I think it's safe to say 'nofollow links' have 0 effect on SERP's.

Hope that helps,

MJW.
    All links lead to Rome.

I think it's safe to say 'nofollow links' have 0 effect on SERP's.
    At least for Google.
    All links lead to Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    The rel="nofollow" is an attribute you can set on an HTML <a> link tag, invented by Google, and adopted by others. Those links won't get any credit when Google ranks websites in the search results, thus removing the main incentive behind blog comment spammers robots.
    I appreciate that the nofollow tag was invented to stop people like me doing what im doing but what is the difference between me doing it for a company instead of them doing it themselves? I am adding a relevant comment on the blog post and adding to the discussion. I think that this deserves a followed link!

What i am a bit unclear on is the anchor text. When the link is nofollowed does the anchor text still count?

Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    I appreciate that the nofollow tag was invented to stop people like me doing what im doing but what is the difference between me doing it for a company instead of them doing it themselves? I am adding a relevant comment on the blog post and adding to the discussion. I think that this deserves a followed link!

What i am a bit unclear on is the anchor text. When the link is nofollowed does the anchor text still count?
    Interesting question, when searching for an answer Google spat out this page.
    On the page you will find a test conducted by a person asking the same question as you are.

Test Results:
    Google does not value the anchor of nofollow links.
    Yahoo doesn't value them eather.
    MSN is too weak.
    I don't take this person's opinion as an authority on the matter,
    but to me the test seems convincing enough to not waste time by running my own tests.
    All links lead to Rome.

I am involved with link building for a couple of clients and regularly post on industry blogs on their behalf. This does bring them some direct traffic but it's minimal. I am analysing whether the time spent by me would be better spent on content creation...

Now most blog comments have nofollow added to them is posting on blogs worth it? I know i will get a chorus of "do it for the traffic" but to be honest i have seen very little traffic from the blogs which i post on. This raises the question of whether it is worth the time to do this?

Do people think that the nofollow attribute completely discounts the link or does it just stop PR transfer? Does no follow link text still have an effect on SERPs and semantics?

Also, what (if any) is the difference between rel="nofollow" and rel="external nofollow"?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Yes it is..

Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Interesting question, when searching for an answer Google spat out this page.
    On the page you will find a test conducted by a person asking the same question as you are.

I don't take this person's opinion as an authority on the matter,
    but to me the test seems convincing enough to not waste time by running my own tests.
    Hhhm, its an interesting article. If a bit floored! Why did he write the "unique keyword" on the page in real text?

I would do it more like this.
    • Create a new orphaned page. Ill make it appear to be an average page - with metas, structured textual content (but with no mention of the blog anchor text) and outward bound links.
    • Start dropping comment links with a made up name like "professor van billy winkle" - no results with speech marks.
    • Start adding links to forums using that anchor text and see what happens!
    There is no need for the site to be listed before hand coz it will tell us more if the nofollow links ARE THE ONLY route to the page.

I'll do it tonight and let everyone know of developments. Any input welcome!?

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar

The PR passed by an OBL is purely a function of 1) the amount of PR available for the referring page to pass, and 2) the number of OBLs on that page that are "followed."

If the link is "no followed," then that link has no value beyond the traffic that it may generate.

I take on board all of the previous messages, including those with links to 'definitive' statements from Google sources.

My own experience is that I have a guitar chords website, I work out new songs on a regular basis, post them to my ( Blogger ) blog - which gives me an opportunity to be a bit more verbose, talk about the band, their latest album, include links to their official website etc..

Then I add the songs to my website.

Generally, the blog post is listed top 5 in Google search for 'artistname' 'song title' within 24 hours. As the Blog doesn't actually contain any guitarist resource, just a link back to the website page with the 'new' song, the effect is the same as if my website had top ranking for the user's search.

When I add a new artist to my website portfolio, usually when I have about 6 songs for the artist, it takes about one or two weeks for my site to reach top 5 rankings for 'guitar chords artistname' - thanks to the juice from the previous blog postings. Plus the blog posts also continue to feature, usually top 10.

I guess my point is that using the blog as a vehicle to write in more detail about what is on your site, and link to the site pages with the actual content, is a reasonable way to deploy a website and blog without competing with yourself, and giving the SE spiders, and your target audience, more textual content on the topics you are aiming to be authoritive on.

PJ
    P.J. Murphy, Guitar Chords & Lyrics
    guitarsongs.info

Don't do it for the Pagerank. PR can't count on PR. Do it for the targeted traffic and SEO results.
    It will help. Links within forums, blog comments, blogs and articles do help. Afterall, howelse will Google do it's measurement. Just don't abuse the system, or your client will pay dearly with less SEO traffic.

A mix of nofollow and dofollow links would be healthy. Too many dofollow links will say something is fishy.

Jut my opinion...