Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Displayed Title tags on Google Search - InstanceBeginEditable

Displayed Title tags on Google Search - InstanceBeginEditable

Hi All,

I have come across the below coding:
    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
    <title>Exhibition display stands, banner stands, furniture and gantry</title>
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

Please could someone advise me on what this is used for. My reason for asking is that I have noticed that a website, our competitors, when displayed in Google search results the Title (I believe generated through the meta title tag) seems to change depending on the keywords used when searched for, although the same URL is always displayed - the home page.

Would this coding be the answer to how to do this as I would like to do the same with my website, my ultimate aim is to increase the search engine ratings on both my websites - UK Exhibition Stand Designers, Builders, Contractors including Banner Stands & Pop-up Stands and Bespoke and Creative Exhibition Stand Contractors, Builders and Designers any help or advise on this would be greatly appreciated, I have a very basic understanding, so layman's terms would be great.

Thanks for all your help
    Rose
    The complete Exhibition Service
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Re: Displayed Title tags on Google Search - InstanceBeginEditable

Hi Rose,

The coding that you are wandering about is part of a dreamweaver template. This coding is in place to stop certain parts of a template being manually changed within dreamweaver, the idea being that a web master can only change the parts of the design which aren't going to mess things up!

In the coding that you've pasted the area between:
    <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
    and
    <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
    is editable, i.e. the title tag. Everything either side is uneditable. This is a great way to protect a templates integrity if you have non-code savvy people working on your site but in reality most people find it to be a right pain! Its easily removed with notepad.

It is a little puzzling that the title should change? Can you Private message me the search results that you're talking about? But one thing i can definitely say is that the coding above has nothing to do with the changing title in the results. It is most probably different a result from different data centers.
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content

Twitter: @mattbennettseo

Turn your JavaScript off and then take a look at the page to see if there is something fishy going on code wise. Without examples to go by this would be my only suggestion.

Thanks for responding, I have turned off my Java script but couldn't see anything unusual.
    Inertia has kindly advised that the reason for the change in the title is due to Google automatically changing the title to the company's name, as it believes you may be searching for the company name instead of it's product, which would explain the past search results.

Thanks for all you help.
    The complete Exhibition Service
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sounds to me like your competitor somehow has a series of web pages being indexed by Google, each one optimized for a different set of keywords & title.

I wonder, do the web pages use any sort of framing (of sorts)? If so, maybe the optimized pages display a "common home-page" where that "home page" is a common framing element (or gathered as a scripted "dynamic" element using PHP, etc.) to then be displayed within each of the optimized web pages.

Just guessing, but it might be something to look at. Look at the meta tags and see if the title tags really are different. Pretty tricky if that's what they're doing, and getting away with it.