Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Euro / European City Guide Scam

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    Chances are this is the threat of reverse SEO.
    Yes, I remember your thread http://www.webproworld.com/webmaster...ust-got-easier about this http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/...s-bad-for.html article:

Being bad to your customers is bad for business

12/01/2010 12:06:00 PM
    A recent article by the New York Times related a disturbing story. By treating your customers badly, one merchant told the paper, you can generate complaints and negative reviews that translate to more links to your site; which, in turn, make it more prominent in search engines. The main premise of the article was that being bad on the web can be good for business.
    Do you think Google use that principle themself or are they still the big white angle that does nothing evil to their small clients?

Interesting that your think that the profit from this story exceeds the potential loss.

I think there are Norwegian companies that think that a bad story with attention on our Tv is better than no story. So it is the same in the USA?
    Last edited by kgun; 01-28-2011 at 06:36 AM.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Quote Originally Posted by kgun View Post
    I think there are Norwegian companies that think that a bad story with attention on our Tv is better than no story. So it is the same in the USA?
    Pretty much yes, there is a strong number of people that think 'any' publicity is 'good' publicity.
    William Cross
    Hidden Content by Those Damn Coders
    Hidden Content because our constitution matters

deceived by ECG

I feel pretty foolish, too. I made the same mistake, too and now i am worried. What did you do after all??

I can see my company's name on their "Guide". I do not want to exist there. How can they stop it?? What should i do?? Or else, they will continue to advertise me for free... is it legally dangerous? When did they stop annoying you??

Thanx for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by joanna41 View Post
    Well I am feeling pretty foolish now....I sent off my form thinking it was a free listing (a bit like Yellow Pages we have here in the UK), then I received an invoice asking for 997 - I called them and was told there was a cancellation period, but I hadn't received any other paperwork and was then told to send an email, which I did and received no reply, I then received a reminder in the post so I called again and spoke to a very rude lady who told me they reply within 1 week THEY DON'T, I sent my first email on 16th March. I have now sent 3 emails - I don't want to pay for this but am worried they will start harrassing, which by the sounds of it they tend to do...

What would be the best course of action for me to take? Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Joanna

Read the thread.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

Hi Dwra,
    I too felt a bit scared after realising it wasn't FREE, and thought I would have to pay, but then I did some searching on the web and found quite a few websites (including this one) and forums full of people like me and you, who have all done the same thing, and it put my mind at rest. I just ignore them. I have had one call from them asking for payment and I told the woman in no uncertain terms that I would not be paying, I knew it was a scam and not to call again and I haven't received anymore calls, but I did get another invoice, which went in the same pile as all the others - filed under RUBBISH. I don't let them worry me anymore and I suggest you do the same. Joanna