Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microformats SEO and the Sumo parser.

Lightbulb Microformats SEO and the Sumo parser.

1. Motivation.

Microformats give us the opportunity to add more machine-readable semantic value to HTML documents using structures with standardized class names.

So more precisely, what are microformats - Microformats? Microformats are a way of thinking about data, design principles for formats, highly correlated with semantic XHTML, a set of simple open data format standards that a diverse community of individuals and organizations are actively developing and implementing for more/better structured blogging and web microcontent publishing in general and much more. It is a way to write code and markup that a Bot should like and as such have the potential to improve your SE ranking.

2. An example: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard

hCard is a simple, open, distributed format for representing people, companies, organizations, and places, using a 1:1 representation of vCard (RFC2426) properties and values in semantic HTML or XHTML. hCard is one of several open microformat standards suitable for embedding in HTML, XHTML, Atom, RSS, and arbitrary XML.

3. Microformats and SEO

How microformats affect search engine optimization ( SEO ) - USWeb Blog - Internet and Search Engine Marketing Blog

"So if you haven’t heard by now there is this new term called microformats spreading like crazy across the net. At first it can seem overly confusing but when digging into the heart of the matter the exact opposite is true. So what are microformats? Microformats are sets of simple data formats built for today’s technology (XHTML mostly) to solve simple problems. To speak in plain English a Microformat in most cases is a set of XHTML code embedded in web pages that provides a structured set of data that can be utilized for other means".

Googling for microformats - Joost de Valk's SEO Blog

"Imagine, you can type in a query like "joost de valk class:vcard" and Google comes up with my contact page, because that has a vcard class in it's markup, the main class of the hCard microformat. This was suggested today on the uf-discuss mailing list, a mailing list I've been lurking on for quite a while now, and it made me go "YES! That's what I want!"."

This is definitely a standard that has the potential to improve the SERP's.

4. SEO tools

SEO Goodies | Tag Cloud tool, SEO Keyword Discovery Tool, SEO Books

5. Dan Webb's Sumo Java Script parser.

Parsing microformats is difficult, but Dan Webb has written one parser:

danwebb.net - Sumo! A Generic Microformats Parser For JavaScript

For more information see:

The*Art*& Science*of JavaScript - SitePoint Books

chapter 5. That is a must read about meta programming in JavaScript and extending JavaScript to a better language with true object oriented features. If you understand that chapter (read, try the code, read again and reread until you understand it), you will be able to write cleaner, more flexible, more optimized and more reuseable Java Script code.
    Hidden Content :: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Conversations creates communities and conversions create profit.

2. The Following 4 users agree with kgun:

Re: Microformats SEO and the Sumo parser.

Excellent post. I already use microformats on my sites for almost 2 years now.

Can anyone STICK this thread?
    Hidden Content Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 users agree with Webnauts:

Stuck it for you, well see if it sticks.

6. The following user agrees with incrediblehelp:

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblehelp View Post
    Stuck it for you, well see if it sticks.
    Great! The post deserves it. Remember my words bro.

Thanks!!!
    Hidden Content Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Hidden Content

8. The following user agrees with Webnauts:

Excellent post kgun. I hate to highlight a single sentance of your post, and I don't do it to diminish any of the thoughts or information you provided, but something you said in your first paragraph is very important IMO...

In other ways it is a way to write code and markup that a Bot should like and as such have the potential to improve your SE ranking.
    Anytime this is a possibility, not only is the the potential for the benefit to the end user being explored, the potential of utilizing it for "manipulation" is being explored as well.

I ask myself, what benefit does it provide, to whom, why, and is that potential benefit offset by those intent on abusing it creating a whole new set of problems to be addressed. I also ask myself, who is most likely to use it.

Supporting, and using, something internally for ones own benefit when you can "control" what is being provided, is quite different from using it to "shape" the "product" you provide when what is being provided is beyond your control.

My 2 cents...

Dave

10. The following user agrees with crankydave:

Well, I'm new with this concept, please let me know the basic advantages of Microformats. Is this really giving any fruit in search engine optimization ?

12. The following user agrees with naman:

Quote Originally Posted by onthink View Post
    It really worths the time, great!
    Can you explain what is worth the time?

14. The following user agrees with Webnauts:

Question Re: Microformats SEO and the Sumo parser.

Quote Originally Posted by kgun View Post
    1. Motivation.

Microformats give us the opportunity to add more machine-readable semantic value to HTML documents using structures with standardized class names.

So more precisely, what are microformats - Microformats? Microformats are a way of thinking about data, design principles for formats, highly correlated with semantic XHTML, a set of simple open data format standards that a diverse community of individuals and organizations are actively developing and implementing for more/better structured blogging and web microcontent publishing in general and much more. It is a way to write code and markup that a Bot should like and as such have the potential to improve your SE ranking.

2. An example: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard

hCard is a simple, open, distributed format for representing people, companies, organizations, and places, using a 1:1 representation of vCard (RFC2426) properties and values in semantic HTML or XHTML. hCard is one of several open microformat standards suitable for embedding in HTML, XHTML, Atom, RSS, and arbitrary XML.

3. Microformats and SEO

How microformats affect search engine optimization ( SEO ) - USWeb Blog - Internet and Search Engine Marketing Blog

"So if you havenít heard by now there is this new term called microformats spreading like crazy across the net. At first it can seem overly confusing but when digging into the heart of the matter the exact opposite is true. So what are microformats? Microformats are sets of simple data formats built for todayís technology (XHTML mostly) to solve simple problems. To speak in plain English a Microformat in most cases is a set of XHTML code embedded in web pages that provides a structured set of data that can be utilized for other means".

Googling for microformats - Joost de Valk's SEO Blog

"Imagine, you can type in a query like "joost de valk class:vcard" and Google comes up with my contact page, because that has a vcard class in it's markup, the main class of the hCard microformat. This was suggested today on the uf-discuss mailing list, a mailing list I've been lurking on for quite a while now, and it made me go "YES! That's what I want!"."

This is definitely a standard that has the potential to improve the SERP's.

4. SEO tools

SEO Goodies | Tag Cloud tool, SEO Keyword Discovery Tool, SEO Books

5. Dan Webb's Sumo Java Script parser.

Parsing microformats is difficult, but Dan Webb has written one parser:

danwebb.net - Sumo! A Generic Microformats Parser For JavaScript

For more information see:

The*Art*& Science*of JavaScript - SitePoint Books

chapter 5. That is a must read about meta programming in JavaScript and extending JavaScript to a better language with true object oriented features. If you understand that chapter (read, try the code, read again and reread until you understand it), you will be able to write cleaner, more flexible, more optimized and more reuseable Java Script code.

This is good article. But can you tell me by using this can i increase my website search engine rankings??

Regards
    Subhzash

16. The following user agrees with subhzash:

Excellent post !!!

No matter what, experience makes people better................ur experince speaks...

God bless u and we will bless the world wide web.

Amit P Gupta

Web Strategist and SEO
    amitgupta007_99@yahoo.com

18. The following user agrees with amitgupta007_99:

Question Re: Microformats SEO and the Sumo parser.

Quote Originally Posted by amitgupta007_99 View Post
    Excellent post !!!

No matter what, experience makes people better................ur experince speaks...

God bless u and we will bless the world wide web.

Amit P Gupta

Web Strategist and SEO
    amitgupta007_99@yahoo.com
    Can you tell me what is the use of Microformats in seo point of view??

20. The Following 2 users agree with subhzash: