Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Tool Tips and Hints on Rollover

Question Tool Tips and Hints on Rollover

You know when you rollover a link and it pops up a little text as a title for the link....

Well I know how to do it, by putting a title= in the tag, but what I want to know, is why is it so slow.

is it just on my machine here, that you do not see the title text of a link, unless you hover for around 3 seconds.

Is there anyway, other than an invisible show hide layer, to make those little text hints faster to display?

Re: Tool Tips and Hints on Rollover

You didn't say which browser they're slow in (though I strongly suspect IE, which, if given a standard drunk driver test wouldn't be able to touch its nose, or even come close.) nor did you specify a page so we could take a look.

Give this a try, handled by css:

Yahoo! UI Library: Tooltip

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar

Well, since the data that is to be presented on roll-over is downloaded with the rest of the page, and is therefore available for immediate rendering as needed, the chief suspect would be the platform on which you observe such sluggish behavior.

I am using firefox 2 and an example of what I am referrin to can be seen some days on googles home page, like when they have changed the logo, yesterday it was Alexander Bell and if you roll over the logo, Alexander Bell text came up. There is nothing being celebrated today so there example is no good today.

I do have it on my home page of the price comparison site in my sig. If you rollover the USA or UK flag, a little text hint comes explaining the link.

For me in Firefox, with Windows XP, and a 20MB broadband conection, that takes a few seconds to display the text.

I mean its not really a problem, other than I was thinking that people may not hover on a link long enough to see that text. Maybe they do, maybe I am just a bit impatient.

Things like image links, are not always obvious they are a link, so that s why I was asking really.

Here's a DHTML Tooltip script. It may be a bit more advanced than you're looking for, but it may give you some ideas.

Hope it helps.

Most browsers do use a slight delay before showing the text, so that they do not have to render the box as soon as you mouse over a link if you are just moving from one area of the screen to another - it has to actually detect a "hover" which usually means the mouse is motionless for .5 seconds. As this is a client-side decision, there is nothing a site designer can do to change the delay. The closest you can come is to bypass the behavior completely and use a Javascript tooltip.

Also, note that IE and Firefox use different tags for their tooltips. As a result, using your Compare Prices site as an example, the tooltip shows up in Firefox, but not in IE. (Firefox uses the title attribute, IE uses alt.)
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar

The same delay on mouse-over occurs in Windows Explorer as well, so that pop-up/drop-down menus are not instantaneously rendered merely because the cursor passed over a given link on its way to the intended destination.

While these delays are controllable by the user, short of invasive means, there is, to the best of my knowledge, no method whereby the site server can alter such.

Quote Originally Posted by wige View Post
    Also, note that IE and Firefox use different tags for their tooltips. As a result, using your Compare Prices site as an example, the tooltip shows up in Firefox, but not in IE. (Firefox uses the title attribute, IE uses alt.)
    I did not realise that ie used a different tag, thanks for mentioning it.
    --------------------------

Cheers for the explanations and other ways of achieving the tooltip.