Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guru looking for Angel

Guru looking for Angel

Good morning!

These are interesting times. 4 years ago I came up with The Aquarium, a FREE ASP blog that I compared to a wall where visitors could come and post messages. I'm proud to see Facebook using a similar concept.

I had thought of creating a full-scale business where users would not need to install The Aquarium; they could just go to the main site and sign up for their own. I passed; I just don't have the business training, and the Google Ads didn't add up to cover the hosting. I didn't feel confident that it ever would.

So, I'm looking for an Angel, but not to invest. I’m looking for a business partner that can help determine what fits the market; what needs to change; what will attract visitors and make money.

What works and what hasn’t: I’ve received lots of fan mail for my work. An interactive Flash movie at: Blue Puff Software has received good reviews. The 3-D Flash test at: Benjamin Lindelof's Graphics & Programming Portfolio was popular.

Misses include my attempt to commercialize my work, such as: Blue Puff Network - Work Online Anywhere which generated some leads but no new projects. I ended up moving everything to Tripod to avoid paying a webhost.

For an overview or resume, visit: LinkedIn: Benjamin Lindelof

Currently I’m making money programming 9-5, but I’m an entrepreneur at heart.

Drop me a line or give me a ring if you are interested!

Sincerely,

Ben

Re: Guru looking for Angel

HAX OR said
    "Iím looking for a business partner that can help determine what fits the market; what needs to change; what will attract visitors and make money."

There is more than one market. I myself never understood the teenage market. I do not understand most of the Markets.
    What I am beginning to discover is that a high proportion of the experts that reputedly 'Do understand' merely sell or offer advise. not many of them seem to have proven themselves by cracking a market.

One sure fire mistake was using tripod for hosting.

I have absolutely no Idea how I could help. but I would like to.

classic cars - directory - Southern cross Engines
    If Optimising for google gives you a headache? - try optimising your Users

Thanks for your response!

Tripod hosts free webpages (my only criteria). It works fine considering I'm not posting anything important (my portfolio and samples).

I used 1&1 Hosting for a couple years to host my Blue Puff Software website. The Google Ads didn't pay enough to cover hosting, so I dropped it.

Here's some fun projects that I was involved with or passed on:
    - created some music and sound effects for Starfighter, a Windows "The Last Starfighter" game that looks just like the movie version.

- passed on working with the Desert Combat team. I was too busy at the time, but the company went on to be acquired by Electronic Arts. After that, things didn't go so well for the developers

- spent quite a bit of effort to convince Ken Williams back into the game business. He's busy though, working on his talkspot.com website when he has time.

I'll probably end up creating some type of game.

"Tripod hosts free webpages (my only criteria)."

Your targeted customers, are precisely the same people who scorn and despise free websites and those that use them.

I think you can throw away any feedback you got from that site.
    you have no Idea how many web professionals just turned away at the door. .

???? I've read your posts Tubby. Let me clarify:

I don't have any targeted customers. My online resources are for one purpose: to show my graphics and my flash and my programming. Mission Accomplished. I've had absolutely no problem finding jobs doing this 9-5 for $50-100K/year.

What I am looking for: The next big project that I can work on.

Looking forward, I'm looking for an 'Angel' that wants something created, or designed, or programmed, and I can take care of that, or get it started. For now I'm just helping people get shopping carts setup online, helping folks create an eBay store, creating graphics and logos, etc.

Here's what interests me: Helping folks.

- Maybe someone wants to create their vision of a MMORPG. I can get that started. I'm just one person, the tech-guy, so I'm not a lawyer, or a data-entry clerk, or anything in-between.

- Maybe someone has a cool website idea. I can create the engine that powers the idea.

- Maybe they are looking for options? Ken mentioned that he wanted a .NET 2.0 WYSIWYG editor. There's lots of them available, and he picked the same one I recommended.

- Maybe a guy is sick of creating Winforms and they want a Winform-editor that they can use. A WYSIWYG interface, and some iContainers, and they're set.

Since I'm only one person, I can't do it all, but I'm a good resource. Legal issues? Check with a lawyer. Same goes for other specialties... my specialities are graphics programming, database integration, enterprise architecture, server administration, etc.

Often I spend hours on the phone with companies, discussing their plans for the Net.

There was a comics website that offered downloads of a desktop app that allowed users to see a daily comic. They mentioned they were interested in going with .NET but wondered how it would work on PCs that do not have the Framework installed. I assured them that this pre-requisite is part of the installation package, and it can be downloaded if required.

They balked that an Internet connection would be required, but I pointed out that the application was already connected to the Internet (through an auto-update), and the program was retrieved from the Internet.

I have seen some big projects, but since I can't do it all, they are usually awarded to companies like Quilogy (for CMS) or teams of developers.

A perfect fit would be something like YouTube. Someone has an idea, I whip up a prototype, we get it hosted, we let it fly for a year and see how it goes.

You will have more success finding an "Angel" If you look a little more heavenly. .

The Angel you are looking for will most likely not be inspired by your tripod clothing.

post your web page in the site review. get a 2nd 3rd 4th opinion.

I to am only one person.

You say
    "I don't have any targeted customers."
    Rubbish, you know damned well who you want to sell your skills to....

"My online resources are for one purpose: to show my graphics and my flash and my programming."
    your Page simply says, "I cannot afford a proper site" (Absolutely brilliant first impression)

What I am looking for: The next big project that I can work on.
    That is not what your site says. Why does your site not give the same message you are promoting above?

Dammit I could give you free hosting. . Lots of WPW members could - helping out other members with little things like this, happens daily. But . . If you do not point yourself in a positive direction. . you will go absofuckinglutely no where.

Present yourself Properly, you are ill attired (tripod clothing) and not yet presentable.
    You can bet your boots someone out there wants you. . you only need to set up a plan to present yourself in an irresistible manner.

Why am I the only person apart from you on this thread? (have you asked yourself that?)

There are a thousand others aiming for your targeted market . . at least make an attempt to look a more appealing choice than the rest of them.

Did I say it before?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
    Did I say it before?

I have lots of ideas how you can help. But unfortunately I can't just tell everyone my ideas... but...

The next idea that I would like to get out there (since The Aquarium was a success) is.... Family Pro! Check out my portfolio for more info on this product. I have hundreds of them. Wish I could code them all.

Basically it works like Business chat, file sharing, group decision making: Campfire (Campfire Business Chat). Campfire popped up recently (a couple years after I designed Family Pro).

To make it happen we'll need a webhost that provides database... PHP/MySQL or .NET/SQL. The website would allow you to make rooms like Campfire. Here, it would behave like a Google page that anyone in the room can edit. So you could have chat windows and drag URL of video clips (which changes into a box that opens the video). Perhaps some VOIP...

To make my ideas happen, I need an Angel. Or I'll sit on my ideas until after I get a business degree. LOL So far the ideas I've presented are mash-ups.

So far the reception to my ideas has not been positive... but the ideas are ultimately successful!

Thanks Tubby

Wow I just read your comments Tubby.

I don't understand you. You're not actually responding to my post. An Angel is someone who has the money to invest in your business. I don't care what your opinion of tripod is! LOL If you want me to host on a different site, feel free to provide the funds... I'm not sure why you would care? For programming database websites... tripod doesn't work. It's good to use and abuse (which is what I am doing, just using and abusing the server... for free).

An Angel is someone who has the money to invest in your business..... if you don't respond to the subject of this thread I just assume you are a troll.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. I will be convinced if you mention tripod again. For some reason you think I should care about where I host my work samples. Hmm.. interesting.

Have a good one!

Edit: I removed a joke here.

Tubby, what I'm looking for is someone that I can get along with for websites. Someone with deep pockets!

I know people with deep pockets... they have their own businesses. I'm looking for an angel investor*.

We just didn't hit it off. (You seem obsessed with Tripod. You seem to think I care about things that I am using and abusing, again the Tripod thing. You seem very emo... er... passionate.)

Take it easy~

Drink some Victoria's Bitter... it's great!