Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nofollow for pages on your own site?

Nofollow for pages on your own site?

From what I've been reading, the nofollow coding should be included if you don't wish to pass page rank to a link. While this makes sense to me for a link to an external site, should this coding be included on pages within your own site?

My question is then: is there a certain amount of page rank that your site has as a whole? If you continue to add additional web pages, are you in fact diluting the overall authority/page rank of all the pages?

If yes, should you use the no follow coding to keep new pages (that don't necessarily need to be ranked) to keep the PR/authority on the more important pages?

For example, should you add this coding on a product page on your site that has links to various relevant product information pages? In my mind, while there are lots of pages that are great for informational purposes, they don't necessarily need to have page rank passed on to them -- I would prefer to keep that on my most important pages.

Any validity to my thoughts?

Re: Nofollow for pages on your own site?

Here's the very important thing to keep in mind...

Adding "nofollow" to a link tells the SE's to completely ignore the link. So it stops everything not just the flow of PR.

Dave

When you add pages to your site, and those pages get indexed, you are adding to the total PageRank that exists inside your site. The reason why you might want to cut some internal links (with nofollow) is to better control *where* the PageRank goes.

As Dave points out, it's important to understand all of the implications before you decide to use nofollow internally. I've written a couple tutorial type posts on my blog @ SEO Fast Start, and of course it's part of my book. It's not for everyone, and the impact isn't always very dramatic.

The biggest impact is in "run of site" links to empty or useless pages (e.g. a 'view cart' page on a shopping site) and links from your home page.

Just as a follow up Dan... Hypothetical...

A site uses internal "nofollows" on a bulk of their pages, but not all, because they don't want the page to be deindexed, just want to micromanage PR. A SE finds the bulk of those "nofollows" pointing to a page that's in their index. Do they deindex the page? Is a little extra PR passed by the remaining links better than an additional page?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by crankydave View Post
    Here's the very important thing to keep in mind...

Adding "nofollow" to a link tells the SE's to completely ignore the link. So it stops everything not just the flow of PR.

Dave
    So you dont see spiders visiting links with nofollow on them? I have.

I was under the impression that the nofollow still allowed a link to be indexed but that page rank was not assigned -- is this correct?

Purely hypothetical: say that your site has a total PR of 100.

If you have 5 pages and the PR is distributed evenly, each page would be worth 20.
    If you increase your site by an additional 5 pages, and the total PR of 100 is distributed evenly amongst the 10 pages, each page would be worth 10 now. By adding additional pages you continue to diluted the total overall PR of all the pages.

Is this hypothetical assumption correct? If yes, could you not use the nofollow coding to restrict PR from being passed onto certain pages (pages that are informational, but don't necessarily need the PR). By restricting the PR from being passed (to say, 5 pages via nofollow) you are again distributing the total PR of 100 to a lower number of pages; thereby helping to keep a higher PR/value to the pages that matter most.

If indeed it example is correct, is it something that is worthwhile to do?

Thanx for all you guys for this nice discussion.
    I have also somany doubt abt this nofollow within the site. Now i feel comfortable.

A way I have implemented nofollow on my site is the following: -

I have 6 product departments, 2 of which are more important than the others (a lot more). Instead of splitting my link juice evenly between the 6 departments I link directly to the 2 important, link to the other 4 with no follow and place a link called "all departments", which is followed.

On the all departments page (which is passed pagerank) there are then links (followed) to each of the 6 departments. There are obviously other links on the page, but if we ignore them for a second the following happens: -

Again, using a hypothetical linkjuice rating of 100: -

Departments 1 & 2 get 33.3 points
    The "All Departments" page gets 33.3 points
    Each department (including 3,4,5,6) then gets 5.55 points passed from the all departments page.

If you left off Departments 1 & 2 from the all departments page, the 3,4,5,6 would get a quarter share of the 33.3 points.

Obviously this will only work if you have certain areas of your site, which you deem to be considerably more relevant than others. Nothing is orphaned in the structure, but you are passing more link juice to the more important sections.
    Top 5 SEO - internet marketing and SEO tips
    85 SEO Facts, Myths & Theories… Confirmed Or Busted! - a detailed analysis of some of the most widely held (and disputed) beliefs in SEO
    Follow Me On Twitter: @top5seo

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblehelp View Post
    So you dont see spiders visiting links with nofollow on them? I have.
    I have seen pages get deindexed completely despite there being other live and indexed links to that page.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by calledminime View Post
    I was under the impression that the nofollow still allowed a link to be indexed but that page rank was not assigned -- is this correct?
    Nofollow tells the SE not to follow the link at all.

Dave