Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEO Strategies for Posting in Forums

SEO Strategies for Posting in Forums

Hey Everyone! Hope y'all had a great holiday!

Here's goes. Recently I've been looking into posting in forums in an effort to get my links out in the web for SEO purposes.

Should I only be posting in forums that focus on the category that my site is in? For instance, my site sells urban streetwear, are these the only types of forums that I should be posting? Sometimes, let's say in a car forum, they may have a fashion category, is this a good place to post for me?

Also, many times in the signature you could put more than one link. Does this mean that, to a certain extent, the power of multiple links gets watered down?

Also, I know this sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but in the avatar, you usually have the option of either linking to a picture on your server or just uploading the picture to their server. Wouldn't it be better to upload the pic to their server, so as not to create a link to an image that probably wouldn't help you with SEO?

Does anyone else have any good strategies for posting in forums?

Thanks Everyone! Please let me know!

Jason
    Subcitizen.com - Sick alternative streetwear featuring Hidden Content clothing and tees

Re: SEO Strategies for Posting in Forums

I'll give you my personal opinion on forum posting...

Don't post in forums strictly for "SEO Value". Find communities you like and enjoy and try and be a valuable member of that community. What you contribute in the way of questions, answers, and input is what gives people a reason to follow your links to begin with. It's what you post that matters not simply the fact that you do.

Like any community, online or off, you "reap what you sow".

Likely not the answer you were looking for but it is what I believe.

Dave

Thanks for that info Cranky Dave. I absolutely agree with you. The main purpose should be to contribute and interact with a given community.

But, to be pragmatic, I also have to think about SEO.

Not to get off the subject, but it's so funny. I'm not supposed to be posting in forums for seo. I'm not supposed to be linking for seo. I'm not supposed to be writing with too many keywords for seo, etc. I wish I didn't have to do these things, but if I don't I'm going to get killed in the SERP's by my competitors who are doing these things.

Anyway, thanks again CrankyDave, I always appreciate your effort. You always have an interesting and valuable perspective, as well.

Jason
    Subcitizen.com - Sick alternative streetwear featuring Hidden Content clothing and tees

LOL!

Who says SEO types don't like cool t-shirts?

Staying "relevant" certainly isn't going to hurt. Remember, it's your posts that count IMO. Indexable content that searchers with the same questions, looking for the answers, trying to find information, search for and find. Every post you make on a forum gives the searcher a "reason" to follow the the links you provide based upon what you post. Signature or otherwise. Gives the searcher an opportunity to not only follow the links, but an opportunity to tell friends or even link to you.

Ever follow a signature link because you like what the person had to say or ask?

Dave

You could also consider, that the SEO value actually comes from other members of the forum.

In the case of WPW there is always a little bit of insight to be gleaned from other members. selecting strategies for SEO, SEM, or whatever is far easier if there is a constant bombardment of fresh thoughts entering your awareness.

In the case of WPW, I do not know the value of the link. . But I do know WPW has at least four members that own classic cars.

Value is where you find it.

Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content
    If Optimising for google gives you a headache? - try optimising your Users

WebProWorld MVP

Posting for mere SEO benefit is a waste of time as most of the forums use nofollow in signatures. So I would prefer forum participation only to get interacted. Even if I place the signature links, I don't think it has a great SEO imapct

Quote Originally Posted by innominds View Post
    Posting for mere SEO benefit is a waste of time as most of the forums use nofollow in signatures. So I would prefer forum participation only to get interacted. Even if I place the signature links, I don't think it has a great SEO imapct
    What are some of the things you do for SEO on your site?

take care when posting on forums

so that your purpose is not solely is get links

really I get banned from forums bec of posting my links there

try to write some content on the forums which constitute of most of your post and then add your signature or link

also think of some forums as you do with directories

when u start a post you should target specific keywords in that post different than the posts in other forums

use this google groups and usenet

Quote Originally Posted by dilrajs View Post
    hello everyone my name is raj and i m very newbie in seo.
    Hey Raj! Pleasure to meet you!

If you were in my shoes: no budget, and in need of more traffic and sales, what next SEO steps would you take to get maximum utility?

Nice site, by the way. I notice you do SEO work yourself.

Jason

This is a good topic - and some nice posting - of course you can use forum topics for SEO - you can achieve relevance - you can achieve landing page results - you can do virtually anything you like - all you have to do is find the forums that use thread html titles on thread subjects - talk to the forum admin about what you are trying to achieve and away you go.

But crankydave is correct - forums are for sharing secrets - so the thread leaves me little other choice than to say - crankydave knows of such forums and so do I - but I never spam a forum link especially when I own it - I'll let someone else drop the link.