Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange visit from Google

Strange visit from Google

Hi Everyone, I'm not sure where the best place to post this is so I thought I would start with the google forum. I just looked at my logs through clicktracks for yesterdays web traffic and noticed I received 65 hits for the keyword "wapsftr" from Google with an average time on site of zero. I checked and my website does not show up at all for this weird keyword, but my logs tell me this came from a google organic search.

Whats going on here? Is this a bot? How can I stop this type of spam traffic in the future?

Re: Strange visit from Google

I have seen the same thing in my own logs, although the traffic was coming from MSN, with odd search terms. I use a customized log analyzer that lists the IP address, search query and page in the results that every visitor comes from (useful for spotting trends) and I noticed a lot of searches seeming to come from page 1 of MSN for keywords like "California" and "New York". Subsequent visits had keywords that were closer to what my business is about, but not terms that I should be on the first page for (and I wasn't). The browser tag also resolved to a legitimate browser (IE6 as I recall). In my case, the traffic seems to be from a bot, and most likely is the same in your case as well. The final tip-off for me was that all the traffic came from different IP addresses, all in the same sub-C block, so I ended up blocking that group of addresses through Apache. Unfortunately, because the traffic spoofs a human request, it is nearly impossible to block the traffic automatically.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. What is the purpose of a bot like this? Is is just scraping content from my site?

Just a guess...Could it be a Googlebot? Do you use Google Sitemaps? I suspect the last few letters "ftr" is short for filter and it isn't a search term, but a marker looking for some term(s). Since I doubt your site contains such a term as "wapsftr," how could it have been detected as a hit for such a search?
    DrTandem's San Diego Web Page Design, drtandem.com

Is clicktrack fine for track logs? I use google analytic and it shows nice.

it may be 1.some one type wrongly "wapsftr" and your site come in this moment but may be it disappear now - it may happen, I saw with the keyword "web design" some traffic come but when I search our website not come.
    2.may be "DrTandem1" is right, it's a googlebot mistake
    Time is zero means traffic come but not click in your site navigation

Thanks for all the replies guys. I tend to think that Tandem is right as well, but clicktracks is supposed to ignore bots so I'm not sure whats happening. One interesting tidbit, all this traffic came from France!! haha

That is one of the interesting things with this traffic, everything in the headers looks legit. The referrer is a valid search engine results page, and the user agent is an exact match for a common web browser. Unless the IP address or block of addresses are identified by some other suspicious activity there is no way for an automated process (such as your analytics software) to filter this out. Even GA records this traffic. On the plus side for whoever runs this bot, on a large site they are virtually guaranteed to be able to access the target site without restriction or detection on most sites since many webmasters don't look this closely at their statistics. On the negative for the webmaster, not only can you not automatically block the traffic, your analytics data will be tainted by false requests that can compose a decent percentage of your traffic.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Most of the time it occurs because of Google Image Search check in reffering site if you are getting traffic fom images.google.com (or similar)

It happened with me many times almost 95 % (alsomt because I didn't count) of them were from Googel Image search or google groups, other five percent I was never able to find out.
    www.xavL.com Wallpapers

WebProWorld MVP

Even if the referral is from the Google images, then the website shows up in the images search. But there are some cases, the site doesn't show up even if there are 50 visitors for that particular keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by innominds View Post
    Even if the referral is from the Google images, then the website shows up in the images search. But there are some cases, the site doesn't show up even if there are 50 visitors for that particular keyword.
    It could be result of google dance (it really is very powerful) for example my new site it was at the 5th place or keyword "Punjabi Mp3" but now I can't even find it.
    Another example I never tried t get traffic (or never thought) for keyword "vida guerra" but five days ago I got 2000 visitors from this keyword, and found out that I was on first page on Google image search. I've thousand of celebrity pictures on my site but only two of vida guerra,!! Well, now I'm ot in search results (I didn't find till the page 10) because google dance was over.
    www.xavL.com Wallpapers