Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suplemental Index Ratio:Google.com

Question Suplemental Index Ratio:Google.com

I am working on my site promotion. About 99% pagesof my site are in supplemental index of google. How can this effect my sites ranking. (right now PR of my site is 4). What all i can do to decrease this ratio.

Re: Suplemental Index Rato:Google.com

Given that Googe no longer label pages as coming from the supplemental index, how did you determine that 99% of your site is in the supplemental index?

Re: Suplemental Index Rato:Google.com

There are various tools through wich we can get the no of pages in supplemental index.
    check out Supplemental Index Ratio Calculator

Re: Suplemental Index Ratio:Google.com

Given that Googe no longer label pages as coming from the supplemental index, how can those tools determine that 99% of your site is in the supplemental index.

May be they are using some technology or algorithm to find that, but main concern is not from where they get result, more important is what can we do to decrease this ratio.....i dont know in what respect it effects but this matter is noticeable.....because google first looks main index and if it did not find matching query then it goes to supplemental index that makes searchability low......So i am trying to get this ratio lowered so that more pages of my site come in searchability....

If you pass a false query to Google you can get it to return only the pages that are listed in the main index. Subtract that from the number of pages in a site: query, and you get the number of pages in the supplemental directory.

Example:
    site:mysite.com -> Shows the pages in the main and supplemental indices
    site:mysite.com -xyz:mysite.com -> Shows the pages in the main index only

In my experience, pages in the supplementals do not harm the rank of pages that are not in the supplementals. However, the pages in the supps are probably pages that you do not want to be there. Typically the best way to get a page out of the supplementals is to get relevant inbound editorial links to those pages. This will signal to Google that these pages are deemed to important to be relegated to the supplemental index.
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Your site might have duplicates, and sometimes that results in supplemental page

Quote Originally Posted by wige View Post

In my experience, pages in the supplementals do not harm the rank of pages that are not in the supplementals.
    That is definitely not true. The site pages in the main index leak PR, as they are sharing PR with those pages being in the supplemental index. So that is harmful. That has nothing to do with experience, as it is a fact.
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters

Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts View Post
    The site pages in the main index leak PR, as they are sharing PR with those pages being in the supplemental index.
    Are you saying, if there was some way to figure out which pages were in the supplemental then we could prevent PR being passed on to these pages and the main index pages would then have a higher PR?
    My LinkedIn Profile -- Lancaster Builder

Twitter: @mattbennettseo

Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    Are you saying, if there was some way to figure out which pages were in the supplemental then we could prevent PR being passed on to these pages and the main index pages would then have a higher PR?
    That is exactly what I am saying.
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters