Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Google penalize Yahoo's Directory?

Why doesn't Google penalize Yahoo's Directory?

We recently created a new niche web directory SEO Search Bot and we were thinking of charging annual fees for our featured links offer.

But after the recent happenings about buying and selling links, we came to the conclusion that we may only charge a one time (lifetime) review/submission fee.

But is that fair?

I assume not! You might be asking yourself: Why not?

Then I would ask you: Why doesn't the Yahoo Directory get penalized, since they ask for a fee of $299 per year? Inclusion fee? Why should I pay for an inclusion fee if I am already included?

So that means that my site can be included for one year for the above amount, and when the year is over, I am kicked out. Right? And then I should pay again and request a re-inclusion?

What is that if it is not a paid link?

Ah!!!!! I got it! Yahoo does not sell links. They rent links. And we rent links! Google never said that renting links is not OK. Or?

Or did I miss something?

I would appreciate your feedback very much.

Thanks,

John
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters

WebProWorld MVP

Re: Why doesn't Google penalize Yahoo's Directory?

You are right, but google itself has clearly indicated that it loves yahoo directory links, showing a step mom treatment on the other paid directories.

Webnauts - you are an editor on JoeAnt - it sells links.

Directories are a totally different aspect of paid links.

Quote Originally Posted by ctabuk View Post
    Webnauts - you are an editor on JoeAnt - it sells links.

Directories are a totally different aspect of paid links.
    And what do you think about this? How to contact matt cutts? - Page 3
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters

I would say 'Twaddle' - there is no way on this green earth that Google can discount Directories. At this rate it will start saying that Blogs are link farms.

Some Directories are rubbish but others are not and use Anchor text and relativity of content. I'll go further and on record in a public forum.

If Google wish to become a totalitaristic empire - determining how people earn their money in their website designs and charges then they are on one road and one road only. Downhill.

Digital Point Forums

It would appear that many other people asked the same question - is it really him?

My personal thoughts - If it is him he needs to address his posts - they appear not to be written in his normal flowing self. I'm in his blog - I will ask the question.

I would say 'Twaddle' - there is no way on this green earth that Google can discount Directories. At this rate it will start saying that Blogs are link farms.

Some Directories are rubbish but others are not and use Anchor text and relativity of content. I'll go further and on record in a public forum.

If Google wish to become a totalitaristic empire - determining how people earn their money in their website designs and charges then they are on one road and one road only. Downhill.
    Imagine how many spammy or low quality web sites already dominate the popularity of high quality sites like ours, simply investing some money to buy some links, just to manipulate the heart of Google - to achieve a higher popularity (PR). And you can be sure that our sites have been hurt for years from those PR thiefs.

Who said we cannot buy or sell links? Sure not Google!!! We definitely can do that. We only have to make sure that the nofollow attribute is there. Why not? If it was true what I am reading all over the place that PageRank does not affect rankings, why don't those guys buy or sell links? Only because of the green bar? That is very strange to be honest. Can you explain me that? I am getting confused somehow.

After all, I hope I made clear enough why buying and selling links is unethical and unprofessional, and make for Google more complicated to serve us high quality and relevant results.

Thanks Google that they are taking over to solve this everlasting abuse.

Any further comments David?

Digital Point Forums

It would appear that many other people asked the same question - is it really him?

My personal thoughts - If it is him he needs to address his posts - they appear not to be written in his normal flowing self. I'm in his blog - I will ask the question.
    I am in his blog too, but I will never ask him a question again. Do you know why?
    I posted a question here More info on PageRank and a couple hours later he deleted it.

My question was:

Matt, you mentioned above in one of your comments that PageRank is one of more than 100 ranking factors, and I would just like to ask, how much weight does the PageRank have when it comes to rankings. Lets say in percent?

Why did he delete that? I am not wondering, as I know why. But I do not want to comment that here...

With those thoughts I agree - there are hundreds of spammy directories and anyone foolish enough to simply add a link without anchor text is niave.

I no longer use the Google toolbar - so I have not got the foggiest what the greenline says about mine or any other site - I am not interested.

But Google should remember one thing and one thing above all others. It has a duty of care -it is a multi billion pound business - if it starts to penalise natural search results then it will no longer reflect the very basis of the internet.

That being a place of research for day to day enquiries that should reflect those sites that have both optimised and linked in accordance with their original guidelines and therefore deliver the results based on two things. Content and Relativity to that content.

Anything else will result in a Dictator state on the Internet. People will, as the media no doubt would capitalise on - begin seeking alternative Search Engines.

Google would be well advised to read two books. Animal Farm and 1984 - both written by George Orwell

But Google should remember one thing and one thing above all others. It has a duty of care -it is a multi billion pound business - if it starts to penalise natural search results then it will no longer reflect the very basis of the internet.
    David I hope that was a joke. Google is penalizing the un-natural results. Did you really read my posts above. I have the feeling that you have not. Or did I miss something?