Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We're all doing it wrong.... :-p

We're all doing it wrong.... :-p

That is according to http://www.re-route.co.uk/.

Just spent an amusing 15 minutes on the phone with a sales woman from this Company. This is what she told me: -

"A couple of years ago we identified the magic 4 points which google uses to rank sites. We approached google about this and they said to us...

Google - "Oh, you are right. There is nothing we can do about this for 15-20 years and we'll let you away with it, as long as you only do it for one Company for each key phrase."

Because of this magic formula we can guarantee you a top 10 position for the keyphrase "straighteners" on the main google index."

OK, I said. I am assuming what you are offering is a link building service? Not really that impressive, considering that we are already 22nd for the keyword straighteners and there are only 176,000 results. Surely a few good quality links would get us up there?

"No, we do things that you have never even heard of. Only we can guarantee you this ranking."

Well, I said, I targetted the keyphrase "hair products", which has 2,860,000 results (276,000 with the quotes) and we are 6th in the google index. I did not employ the use of any magic beans or potions for this ranking.

"No, only ourselves and 4 other companies in the world know how to manipulate the rankings"

Manipulate? So what you are doing is black hat then? Google don't allow anyone to manipulate their rankings.

"Yes, but they told us they couldn't do anything about it and as long as we don't saturate the market, it's ok"

But surely if you told them what you do, the first thing they would do is make sure Mr Cutts and his web spam team gets right on to it to fix the problem?

"No, they won't have the technology for 15/20 years."

I lost interest at this point and ended the call, although I wish I had asked her why, if she knows the magical secret herself she doesn't set up her own Company.
    Top 5 SEO - internet marketing and SEO tips
    85 SEO Facts, Myths & Theories… Confirmed Or Busted! - a detailed analysis of some of the most widely held (and disputed) beliefs in SEO
    Follow Me On Twitter: @top5seo

Re: We're all doing it wrong.... :-p

Jeeeeeeesus. This really is unbelievable. Kudos to you for naming and shaming this bunch of clowns. These scammers should be hung, drawn and quartered for taking advantage of someone's business and completely wasting their money.

EDIT: WHOIS Query

Interesting ... thanks for sharing. I found it of note that they discourage clients from using Google Analytics ...
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart Design®. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

The woman got quite upset with me for asking her questions! Threatened to go my competitors and sell them the magic beans instead....
    Top 5 SEO - internet marketing and SEO tips
    85 SEO Facts, Myths & Theories… Confirmed Or Busted! - a detailed analysis of some of the most widely held (and disputed) beliefs in SEO
    Follow Me On Twitter: @top5seo

Quote Originally Posted by thindenim View Post
    The woman got quite upset with me for asking her questions! Threatened to go my competitors and sell them the magic beans instead....
    Fantastic! I'd love one of these crooks to sign up all my competitors. Would save me knocking them out of the SERPs

Quote Originally Posted by thindenim View Post
    Did she by chance have a price for the magic beans?
    Rick - Professional pool table felt and billiard supplies.
    The Pool Table Felt Pros

You have to submit your keywords for a quote to get the price ....
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart Design®. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

Hmmm, makes you wonder what their secret is though, of course. One can guess... Wonder if they provide references (that you can report to Google) from their customers?
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    WigeDev - Freelance web and software development

Well they are scammers. One of the first thing that tells you this is how they threatened you with going to your competitors. This is a HUGE red flag.

It certainly doesn't sound above board, but how do they stay in business if they don't get paid until they get results?