Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Is a Meta Refresh Safe When You Can't Do a 301?

Is a Meta Refresh Safe When You Can't Do a 301?

In this WPW thread, which asks, Can javascript redirect harm website?, the subject of using a meta refresh when a 301 is not possible was raised.

In this article, Google and Yahoo accept undelayed meta refreshs as 301 redirects, Yahoo is quoted as follows:

" META Refresh: <meta http-equiv="refresh" content=...> is recognized as a 301 if it specifies little or no delay or as a 302 if it specifies noticeable delay."

And the same article quotes Andrew Adam Lasnik as saying

[The] "best idea is to use 301/302s directly whenever possible; otherwise, next best is to do a metarefresh with 0 for a 301. I donít believe we recommend or support any 302-alternative. "
    though I couldn't find that quote on Lasnik's site.

Perhaps some of you have recent experiences using a Meta Refresh with 0 or can point us to a definitive answer from Google on this - though everything I read suggests Google has not addressed this question.

Thanks!

MJ
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter Hidden Content Search Smart Designģ. | Travel Gypsy in Hidden Content . | Get the Hidden Content to SEO Web Design.

Re: Is a Meta Refresh Safe When You Can't Do a 301?

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
    In this WPW thread, which asks, Can javascript redirect harm website?, the subject of using a meta refresh when a 301 is not possible was raised.

In this article, Google and Yahoo accept undelayed meta refreshs as 301 redirects, Yahoo is quoted as follows:

" META Refresh: <meta http-equiv="refresh" content=...> is recognized as a 301 if it specifies little or no delay or as a 302 if it specifies noticeable delay."

[The] "best idea is to use 301/302s directly whenever possible; otherwise, next best is to do a metarefresh with 0 for a 301. I donít believe we recommend or support any 302-alternative. "

Perhaps some of you have recent experiences using a Meta Refresh with 0 or can point us to a definitive answer from Google on this - though everything I read suggests Google has not addressed this question.

Thanks!

MJ
    Excellent post and resources. Thanks for sharing. Still scanning.
    Hidden Content Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Hidden Content

You don't find this quote on Adam's site bladam.com because I've cited from an IM chat. You should find it in Google's help files soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post

Thanks!

MJ

Nice posts. Thanks for the great information about that matter.. +rep for you..

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy27 View Post
    Nice posts. Thanks for the great information about that matter.. +rep for you..
    Aw, gee, that's so cool! Thanks!
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter Hidden Content Search Smart Designģ. | Travel Gypsy in Hidden Content . | Get the Hidden Content to SEO Web Design.

There was a thread back in September about this.
    http://www.webproworld.com/search-en...a-refresh.html
    The 0 refresh meta tag was put on the site marbayhotel.com along with a notice in the title tag and on the page as recommended. The new site, hotelmarbay.com is #1 in Live Search for "Hallandale FL hotels" and is slowly moving up in Google. Of course the original site, being on Tripod, was in the cellar to begin with but the Refresh does not seemed to have hurt the new site. There's no way to know if the PR2 of the old site has been passed on yet. If there is something I should be looking for in the way of any adverse effects of implementing the 0 meta refresh, suggestions would be appreciated.
    Jon Case
    Hidden Content

Red face Re: Is a Meta Refresh Safe When You Can't Do a 301?

I knew I had read that some place!

Matt Cutts addresses 301s, 302s, and meta refresh in the first question in this article published 10-08-07. Matt Cutts Interviewed by Eric Enge on September 24, 2007
    Jon
    Jon Case
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joncase View Post
    Matt Cutts addresses 301s, 302s, and meta refresh in the first question in this article published 10-08-07. Matt Cutts Interviewed by Eric Enge on September 24, 2007
    Jon
    I read that two days ago. Good reading.
    Hidden Content Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Hidden Content

This is great news - I have a high ranking site on free ISP space at the moment that allows me very little control over the .htaccess file. I have wanted to move it to proper hosting for a while but have been put off by the thought of losing my rankings.

Something has cropped up which makes this matter much more urgent - I have found another domain (from China) has copied my site, replaced my AdSense publisher id with theirs and is now sourcing all of the images from my site to their domain. I have thought about contacting Google with the id number, do you think think that would be worthwhile?

Ultimately, I need to get the site hosted somewhere else that will allow me to stop people hot linking and set up a zero meta refresh for each page on the old server. Any suggestions on a good US hosting company that allows .co.uk domains to be hosted on their servers?