Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Famous SEOs also Experts?

Are Famous SEOs also Experts?

I just found this article and thought of sharing it with the community here. You will find 8 tips for avoiding an SEO Fraudster: 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster
    Hidden Content Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Hidden Content

Re: Are Famous SEOs also Experts?

I am always astounded at the amount of spin SEO's put on their work. The secret to SEO is to keep it simple, create good quality content and clear "call to actions".

I have added my say -they may not like it That's life

Hi all, the title of this thread asks a very interesting question:

"Are Famous SEO's also Experts?"

Well, are they? Are they experts because they are good at promoting themselves? Where is the proof of expertise? Or; is the fact that the "elites" of this industry promote and praise just the names make these people experts?

From the article...
    2. It goes without saying that some of the most visible people in the SEO industry are not visible because they really understand SEO but because they are good at marketing themselves. Be wary of any information you read.
    SEO is (in its most basic sense) a marketing technique. As such, wouldn't that qualify the most visible SEO companies as understanding SEO the best?

SEO is primarily viewed as manipulating code to rank high in the search engines... but focusing on SEM (search engine MARKETING, of which SEO is a part) often results in better ROI, brand recognition, etc.

So... I do see the author's point (that the most visible companies may not provide the highest rankings), BUT I think he's missing the larger picture. Higher rankings don't always translate into improved ROI, although they do help. Brand recognition (be it through online PR, advertising, etc) will almost always trump SEO "techniques" because consumers need to trust a site.

That being said... I can't comment on whether the most visible companies are the best to outsource your SEO (or SEM). I would say that they have done a great job on their own websites.

Thanks, John. I was sure I was going to find an article I had seen before, but it was newly rewritten, and we can't reinvent the wheel every time ...

I did notice it was missing the warning to steer clear of SEOs who offer guaranteed placement ...

Cheers, MJ
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter Hidden Content Search Smart Design®. | Travel Gypsy in Hidden Content . | Get the Hidden Content to SEO Web Design.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
    steer clear of SEOs who offer guaranteed placement ...
    Sage advice, MJ!

Seeing that type of thing elicits a chuckle every time.

I wonder if they use disclaimers:
    "Guaranteed Placement for 10 minutes" or "Guaranteed placements until Google banishes you with a resounding whack to the back of the head".

Man, I don’t even know what to say…. Why do so many folks care? What one person thinks about Bad SEO Providers …. Means nada to me. Reading through the comments on that post was a freakin hooooot!!

I rant about crappy SEO all the time, but understand it is MY point of view. This ‘thing of ours’ – SEO – is rife with opinions as there is no real set standardization. So opinions on it, or the providers is just more of the same.

We can’t always even agree about specifics of SEO, so why in world are we worried about defining what/who is a quality SEO? Does everyone in this Biz simply like to argue about things? Bah… humbug…

I have been in the game since 1998 ( web development, hosing, marketing) and could care less about who is ‘famous’ nor whom is an ‘expert’ or whatever. I care about doing my job, making $$$, happy clients and a lifestyle that suits my humble needs. Am I famous? … naw..sort of ‘infamous’ … am I an expert? By most common definitions of the word..certainly. What’s it matter though? I don’t go running off to SEO conventions to kiss ass and pander to the people of the SEO world… but that doesn’t preclude me from being good at what I do…

Anyway, I went off about this post from the Pilgrim and the Guru’s follow up last week with – SEO ranting or Link Nepotism. If you haven’t seen the fallout from this Pilgrim article…. Have a read.
    Last edited by mjtaylor; 05-04-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: full of links

I don't think we care so much about what anyone else thinks; I think we like an excuse to talk ...
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter Hidden Content Search Smart Design®. | Travel Gypsy in Hidden Content . | Get the Hidden Content to SEO Web Design.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
    I don't think we care so much about what anyone else thinks; I think we like an excuse to talk ...
    I was more remarking at the comments on the article than here.. in case ya thought I was ranting yer way.... I wouldn't do that after all we have been though sweeeeeetie ....