Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster

Thumbs up 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster

There are many SEOs focused on specific little things on your site such as keyword density, meta tags, etc. Many seem to overly focused on inbound links.

Are these guys professionals? Can you trust them?

Personally I am focused on implementing a strategy that makes people want to come to your site and stay there. Accessibility, Usability, Navigation, Semantics, etc.

Reading this article 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster, I felt confirmed that I am on the right path. Are you too?

I would like to hear your opinion about all this.
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | SEO Workers | Webnauts Net

Re: 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster

9. Run the other way if: the SEO firm(s) won't disclose their methodology, nor provide reports tracking their services to you.

10. Sprint the other way if: the SEO firm(s) won't disclose or is not able to tell you exactly where your money is going every second of every day.

11. And this stuff too, of course!

Webmaster Help Center - What's an SEO? Does Google recommend working with companies that offer to make my site Google-friendly?

~D

Red face Re: 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster

I have that info on my site's homepage and that link here SEO Workers - Search Engine Optimization Ethical Practices
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | SEO Workers | Webnauts Net

And be honest I came up with the idea to start this thread after reading Tip 5:

5. When you talk to an SEO consultant and he/she seems focused on specific little things on your site such as keyword density, meta tags, etc., move on. If he/she seems overly focused on inbound links, move on. If he/she is focused on implementing a strategy that makes people want to come to your site and stay there, you may have found one of the few SEO experts that know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts"
    And be honest I came up with the idea to start this thread after reading Tip 5
    Absolutely! No surprise that it all goes back to optimizing for users and not search engines, time and time again. It has been our experience that SEO is a form of art, not a science (as the methods utilized for one website may not work well for another and is not based on how many times you stuff said keywords on your first page, etc.). There is no "magic bullet" and true marketing success won't happen overnight. Finding reasons for people to bookmark you is key.

~D

Point 5 made me think... I guess it's time to make some changes to my websites. Thanks for the link to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Rephrase View Post
    Point 5 made me think... I guess it's time to make some changes to my websites. Thanks for the link to the article.
    I recommend my customers to do the same and they only witness that I am right.
    Good idea Rephrase. Do that and share your experience here.

I will Guess there's a great difference between SEO valuable content and visitor valuable content.

Lightbulb Re: 8 Tips for Avoiding an SEO Fraudster

Quote Originally Posted by Rephrase View Post
    I will Guess there's a great difference between SEO valuable content and visitor valuable content.
    I do not agree. Therefore, I do not understand where do you see a difference...

Odd as it might seem, search engine algorithms and real people want the same thing. they want a well laid out site with a clear navigation structure, and clear concise pages set into groups if there are a lot of them. This is usability at its simplest but many people seem to have forgotten why their site exists.

When I spoeak to clients I rarely (unless prompted) go into the technicalities of what I will do. Sure I tell them what will be done in writing, but all they should be concerned about is how what I do will affect their business. Sometimes you have no option other than to discuss technical problems , like when a site is 100% flash, or is completely image based due to misuse of a WYSIWYG webpage design packege. But 99 times out of 100 I discuss the improvements to the site for the user, and mention that at the same time we will be doing xyz which will also help with the search engines.

NO-ONE wants a high ranking in the search engines, they WANT the benefits that a quality high ranking will bring!