Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Addiciton Real?

Internet Addiciton Real?

I have been reading quite a few articles lately debating the reality of internet and/or gadget addiction. (Here's one for example).

I am generally skeptical of all of the various sundry addictions, afflictions and modern day maladies people claim to be victims of -- More often than not, I believe a bunch of that crap exists only so that some pharmaceutical company can make and sell a pill for it.

That said, I think people can be addicted to gadgets, games and/or the internet. Just yesterday I was standing in line at Qdoba trying to get some lunch but the lady in front of me apparently couldn't get off of her damned cell phone long enough to order.

Is that addictive behavior or just bad cell phone etiquette?

Re: Internet Addiciton Real?

In the particular instance of the person in line being too busy talking on her cell to place her order, I think that is probably poor etiquette... however, I do believe that at least to some extent Internet addiction is a real malady. I mean, how many of us have not gotten the shakes when the Internet connection is down for five or six hours? How many stories do you hear about people forgetting to eat because they are absorbed in an online game?

News - Child dies as parents play WoW // PC /// Eurogamer
    The best way to learn anything, is to question everything.
    Hidden Content

Internet addiction is very real. It's not even hard to fall into. People get addicted to connectivity, the ability to get information and communicate instantly. I know people personally who nearly go into convulsions if the first thing they do when they get home is to get online and check their e-mail.

Anecdotal evidence aside, there have been some studies done about internet addiction. You should check out scholarly journals, I'm sure you'll find something. I did a term paper on it a few years back and if I can find my sources I will post links here.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I have been reading quite a few articles lately debating the reality of internet and/or gadget addiction. (Here's one for example).

I am generally skeptical of all of the various sundry addictions, afflictions and modern day maladies people claim to be victims of -- More often than not, I believe a bunch of that crap exists only so that some pharmaceutical company can make and sell a pill for it.

That said, I think people can be addicted to gadgets, games and/or the internet. Just yesterday I was standing in line at Qdoba trying to get some lunch but the lady in front of me apparently couldn't get off of her damned cell phone long enough to order.

Is that addictive behavior or just bad cell phone etiquette?
    I'd mostly say bad etiquette. If the server had any sense, they would have politely ignored her and taken others' orders until she hung up the phone. If she got bent out of shape, then politely ask her to leave, explaining why. Just my $0.02.

Lyle

The internet, gadgets, games are all just another vice that many suffer addictions to. Just like television, smoking, and drugs. It is something that they can do that makes them feel good about themselves, even if only momentarily, or good about life, even if only momentarily.

The fact that people are dying due to issues such as the parents in the article wige poste, or the Korean that die after 50 hours of game play (BBC NEWS | Technology | S Korean dies after games session) prove that it can be an addiction.

Dictionary.com (using the American Hertiage Dictionary) defines an addition as such:
    The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.

In that case, how many people get up in the morning, check email, check the online weather, check the online traffic report and then go to work only to get online there? And then come home to get online, text message or chat on the phone? Play a game until midnight or 1 am while they have to wake for work at 5:30 am?

There must be a balance - one thing I have noticed in the town I live in, there are a plethora of activites all summer long that get people out and doing things with other people. The swimming pools (the town has 4 or 5 of them) are always packed during the summer, there are mini-concerts every week by the river walk and just things that get people outside. Couple that with a large reservoir and the mountains close by, it makes leaving technology, Internet and gadgets behind much easier.

For me personally a good long day of paintball with some friends is the ultimate in exercise, outdoors, teambuilding and plain old fun.

In your case Mike, I think someone was just being rude - which is a whole other aspect of the Internet, cell phones and such that could have volumes written about it.

Reference:
    addiction. (n.d.). The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved July 31, 2007, from Dictionary.com website: addiction - Definitions from Dictionary.com

WebProWorld MVP TrafficProducer's Avatar

It has surly be argued that the addiction is not the Internet directly but the impact the Internet has. That is if it releases Endorphin, (happy drug), which act like a drug, and it's this drug that people are addicted to.

i.e,.

For webmasters I get a ton of Traffic=happy.

For Programmers I solve that bug=Happy

For a Game Player, a win=Happy
    Too Much depression to do much Hidden Content Hidden Content

Smile Re: Internet Addiciton Real?

It is hard not to be addicted.

I am bidding on some software on eBay and it closes at 1AM Sunday night. I set the alarm on my iphone to 12:55, it vibrates and wakes me up (thank g-d it didn't wake up the girlfriend), I check my text messages from eBay, raise my bid 2 or 3 times, win the auction and roll over and go back to sleep all within 8 minutes.

Is that using technology to better my life or am I addicted?

Arthur

On second thought ... has my life just simply turned into a pathetic mess?

My two cents: depends really on where to draw the line on addiction, either: 1) doing something to the point of self harm. 2) doing something for far too long, to the exclusion of other, more meaningful activities.

I think it's pretty hard to say internet is an addiction like herion or alcohol - it simply doesn't have the same scale of health risks.... I mean the DT's can kill, as can heroin withdrawal. That said, there are plenty plenty plenty of examples of 2) people wasting hours and hours on nothing in particular online..... which reminds me, shouldn't I be working!!!

Joel

Hi, I'm bj (hi, bj!) and I'm a Webaholic.

I found that out recently when a bad thunderstorm took a tree out in our backyard, which, during its fall, ripped ALL wires off our building-- no phone, no electric, no cable for anyone. Two days later I finally got everything turned back on.

In the interim I was camped out either at a friend's house surfing on her wifi network, or at one of the local coffee houses with a hotspot.

Not my idea of a fun time, but at least I had good backups of my work, and a wifi enabled laptop to work on in a pinch.

But the bottom line is that I found out that yes, I am indeed a Webaholic.