Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Site Layout Template = Duplicate Content?

Question Site Layout Template = Duplicate Content?

Just a quick question..
    Would my site layout template be considered duplicate content on pages that have little other info on such as 'Contact Us' or 'Payment Terms' or Product Caterory pages that currently have no items in etc. These pages contain code that is one every single page of the site I.e images, menu and layout with only a small amout of text / code difference in the main center panel.
    How much different do pages have to be to not be considered duplicate content and for your site to be penalised?
    My Main Site: Workplace Essentials Sack Trucks providing Health and Safety / Materials Handling products to companies in the U.K

Re: Site Layout Template = Duplicate Content?

I wouldn't worry about it. The SERPS of your "Contact Us" page isn't really important is it? I'd consider not displaying empty category pages though, or excluding spiders from them via your robots file. Concentrate on getting people landing on pages that convert sales.

Spiders only look at content when weighing the uniqueness of any given page, so the template (HTML, CSS Javascript etc) is ignored.
    Andy Fletcher, not the famous one. I compare watches in my spare time.

If search engines would punish people using same web templates, I would say that the half of the web would have been banned.

There are endless of same free and paid templates which are used by endless of users.
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters

No, you may use the same layout for each page. Think of it as cans of soda. Most look alike: round, hold 12 ounces, aluminum, pop top label, etc. It's what is inside the can that counts.
    DrTandem's San Diego Web Page Design, drtandem.com

make sure the title and description for each page changes a bit.. nice to know you're on a different page if they're pretty much the same, and it's one more 'content' part of the site to identify to the SE's that ya this isn't the exact same thing.

ditto everyone else... good design from a marketing standpoint requires a consistancy of layout for each page in the site. If SE's penalized that we should start looking for a new solution lol.
    Ron Boyd
    http://ronboyd.ca Follow me: @boydrw

Lightbulb Re: Site Layout Template = Duplicate Content?

Quote Originally Posted by rochdalemark View Post
    Just a quick question..
    Would my site layout template be considered duplicate content on pages that have little other info on such as 'Contact Us' or 'Payment Terms' or Product Caterory pages that currently have no items in etc. These pages contain code that is one every single page of the site I.e images, menu and layout with only a small amout of text / code difference in the main center panel.
    How much different do pages have to be to not be considered duplicate content and for your site to be penalised?
    I doubt that this will be penalized. It is common for every site to be using Contact Us, Terms and Conditions, etc. I do believe that your content on those pages will be different therefore it will not be identical. You should not be worrying about this.
    Find Out More About Renting Thai Amulets For Blessing Of Protection in Well Being & Wealth | Destiny of Fate | Exploring, Understanding & Learning The Basic Feng Shui Art Of Placement To Build Wealth & Harmony With Friends, Colleagues And Family Members In Relationships & Careers... Do you want a better lifestyle? Check it out today!

My pinch of salt to this forum would be to see the issue from 2 different stand points.

1. Although you won't be penalised hard for similar pages, it is clear that template pages from dynamic websites with complex URLS are penalised as they rarely show up in the first 3 pages. A different title would help.

2. Google is now making Webmasters understand that they should clean their mess. May it be from obsolete pages or duplicates, the site maps and txt files must be constantly updated. In your case, i would txt the directory containing these pages.

Then you're safer

Have a nice day

Here is some up-to-date information about duplicated content: SMX Notes - Duplicate Content Summit | Marketing Pilgrim
    John S. Britsios, Forensic SEO & Social Semantic Web Consultant | My personal blog Algohunters

Quote Originally Posted by Bookmauritius View Post
    My pinch of salt to this forum would be to see the issue from 2 different stand points.

1. Although you won't be penalised hard for similar pages, it is clear that template pages from dynamic websites with complex URLS are penalised as they rarely show up in the first 3 pages. A different title would help.
    I disagree. There are plenty of pages with long and/or complex URL's that rank just fine.

If pages, ie empty product pages, contain nothing more than the template, then it is likely the page will be placed in the SI or filtered out of the results in favor of another page on the site.

Dave