Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Are These Hosting Companys

How Are These Hosting Companys

I need shared hosting that will allow a blog & rss & decent bandwidth.
    Storage is not that important.

I do not want a host that will shut me down if my blog starts getting
    on the front page of some social bookmarking sites.

Banana Hosting
    BlueHost
    Blurstorm
    Dynamic Hosting
    HostNine
    ICDSoft
    Integra-Net
    Lunarpages
    PolurNET Webhosting
    RealWebhost
    Servage

Hosting...

The key is your willingness to pay for the bandwidth that you use. No big deal if you get slammed on a day, just an understanding of bandwidth usage and what it may cost you.

PM to discuss in more detail.
    We offer a total eCommerce solution with Hidden Content

Re:Bandwith

I went with Integra-Net for my hosting & they charge $2 for 1 gb of extra bandwith.

The reviews are great for the company & support seems
    pretty good, I'll write a review after a month.

Hi,
    I use Lunarpages for many sites. They are very cheap, support is excellent all of the time, and the deal is very good, up to 350GB for less than $8 a month etc. I don't have a bad word to say about the company, just praise.
    Kevan
    londonpublichouse.com

Lunarpages is my favorite. Everything is very easy to use, lots of features, low prices, etc. One bad experience with them was when a server failed and one of my clients' sites went down. It turned out to be a lengthy failure (about three days). However, because they make it easy to make subdomains, I was able to quickly point (change name servers at GoDaddy) the client's site to a subdomain I created on my site and upload the files to my server.
    DrTandem's San Diego Web Page Design, drtandem.com

I put up my first BlueHost site about 18 months ago. I now have over two dozen, spread across several accounts. I've been very happy with the available services (I use Fantastico quite a bit) and have yet to run across something they couldn't provide. Downtime has been minimal, and with the exception of one or two minor glitches, support has been prompt and solid.

I do music downloads and some audio of interviews and readings... no bandwidth issues.

They seem to be pretty judicious in resource planning; adding new services and raising limits aren't automatically applied to existing accounts, but all you have to do to get them is call.

I'm running over a dozen blogs (Wordpress) and a almost that many sites that have music/multimedia and/or content managment systems (Coppermine, Joomla!, and Drupal).
    Ron

I have used Servage for a couple years without a problem. My site has not went down and the suppoet is almost immediate.
    Their control panel is my only complaint, they say it's on my end that I get page cannot load. I never get that on the site only the control panel.
    If you use a referral code from someone with an account you and that person get extra space and the last time I looked 2 free months. I know they give the free months cause they gave them to me.
    If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

The question you need to ask these hosts, is what happens if you actually use and/or exceed the allotted plan's bandwidth.

It's all well and good if a host has a hosting plan offering a billion gigs of bandwidth, but the question is, can they handle it?

The practice is called over-selling. Hosts offer big everything, knowing that 95% of clients will never hit those limits, so if you're one of the few that will or might, then this is going to be a concern for you.

It's also good practice to let your host know if you expect bandwidth spikes so they can be prepared.
    ----Don't Call Me Brian---- Hidden Content

I've always been under the impression that exceeding CPU usage limits is more likely to pose a problem than exceeding bandwidth allotment. I think that's why a lot of hosts offer so much bandwidth. It's not really that much of an issue compared to CPU usage.

Quote Originally Posted by littlegiant
    I've always been under the impression that exceeding CPU usage limits is more likely to pose a problem than exceeding bandwidth allotment. I think that's why a lot of hosts offer so much bandwidth. It's not really that much of an issue compared to CPU usage.
    It's more likely, because it's more frequent.
    But at the same time one can impact the other.
    The more bandwidth you're pumping through, the more ram and cpu you are using :)

Good point, though
    ----Don't Call Me Brian---- Hidden Content