Submit Your Article Forum Rules

View Poll Results: Do you want a WebProWorld Reputation System to Be Started?

Voters
57. This poll is closed
  • Not bothered either way

33 57.89%
  • Yes, go for it

17 29.82%
  • No way, I disagree with the concept

7 12.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote Here!!! WebProWorld Reputation System

Vote Here!!! WebProWorld Reputation System

This is a follow on to another topic of the thread at http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic...=364684#364684

What do want, think of it?

Vote above in the poll
    Keimos IT - Always learning something new each day
    www.keimosit.co.uk , www.pengolf.co.uk my hobby sites

i honestly think many of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill... is this any different than receiving a account descriptor based on your post count?

second of all, many of you act like this system will be spammed by everyone. i'm sorry, but does this forum have a reputation of having nothing but malicious users? i don't think so. furthermore, do the admins here have a reputation of letting stuff slide and allowing posters to be harassed by others? i think we all know the answer to that as well.

it's funny, every time a service or company introduces another attribute, the first thing many of you run to is "it can be gamed or misused against other users" which is kinda sad.

not every internet forum user is trying to get over on everybody else.
    Former WebProWorld Admin
    IntentionalFoul.com

Vote Here!!! WebProWorld Reputation System

Hi Chris,

A poll like this gives anonimity for those that like their privacy.

As far as I am concerned the format of the forum and the way it is moderated and administered works fine as it is.

The original post asked forum members what there thoughts were. If you do not like the answers or the reaction then tough!!

This is what opinions are about, to find out what the majority would like or dislike, depending on the individuals point of view.

not every internet forum user is trying to get over on everybody else.
    No not everybody, but there are some!!!

Keimos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    i honestly think many of you are making a mountain out of a mole hill...
    For what it's worth, I think you're going to find that most people don't care much one way or the other, but there is going to be a very small but very vocal minority that is going to make a big stink about it.

It's kind of like when Google makes a toolbar PR update. The only people who talk about it are the people who who don't like it and they think it's the end of the world. Everyone else is like, "So what?"

Re: Vote Here!!! WebProWorld Reputation System

Quote Originally Posted by Keimos
    No not everybody, but there are some!!!
    and that's what we're here for.
    Former WebProWorld Admin
    IntentionalFoul.com

Keimos - Thanks for starting this new thread. I hope everyone reads the earlier thread before continuing.

Chris - Thanks for posting the re-direct link to this one and following up with it. I don't want to make too big an issue of this, and I've probably said enough and spent too much time on it already.

My opinion: I don't think it's a good idea and I agree with many of the arguments that people made against it, but what the heck - give it a try and see. It might turn out to be helpful; or people may just ignore it; or it may cause trouble. Guess you'll find out, and if it turns out to be a problem, I'm sure you'll hear about it, and you folks will fix it.

Just keep in mind when you are setting it up that it has the potential to become "personal" in a bad way, and has the potential to make people upset, so please try to design it with that in mind.

I think it's good that you are trying new things; keep up the great work that you do here at WPW.

Hi Chris,

Agreed,

As far as I am concerned the format of the forum and the way it is moderated and administered works fine as it is.
    Yours
    and that's what we're here for.
    Keimos

Just voted after reading this thread and the previous thread..personally I like something like a MVP (most valuable poster) with a subtitle like
    "MVP
    SEM" (Search Engine Marketing) with some kinda of ranking given by the forums they post in or their expertise..but anyway I enjoy this forum especially for the tips so no matter what the outcome, I will keep coming back as long as learn or share!

My concern is the potential incentive to create quantity rather than quality.

If more frequent posting increases visibility, and therefore more chance of getting a "vote", then some people will post just to be noticed, not because they have anything meaningful to say.

On the other hand, plenty of sites have contributor ranking systems of one kind or another, so presumably the benefits outweigh the risks.

There is no incentive in this system to create quantity over quality.

People that try to game the system that way will more likely than not expose themselves to more negative feedback for having done so.