Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Big 3 Search Engines Team Up On Sitemaps

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Have you been in a coma?

This happened years ago!
    I normally would have deleted the above post once i deleted the 'posting for posts' one, but I found it too funny
    William Cross
    Hidden Content by Those Damn Coders
    Hidden Content because our constitution matters

2. The following user agrees with williamc:
    LD
    Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    I normally would have deleted the above post once i deleted the 'posting for posts' one, but I found it too funny
    Would be even funnier if he returns to say "Why, yes, I was. How did you know?"

4. The following user agrees with deepsand:
    LD
    HAHA you guys are funny. Given that we've turned the corner into 2011, is there a particular format that works best for sitemaps? I have some flash content running my menu buttons up top on my new site so have created a text link for sitemap in an upper visible portion of my site. I have my sitemap laid out on paper but was wondering if html is the way to go for the sitemap prior to going live?

Thanks!

You can have a sitemap.xml for Google Webmaster Tools, and also a HTML Sitemap linked from your homepage.
    Some people advice to have links from menu on the footer also...

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Chips View Post
    HAHA you guys are funny. Given that we've turned the corner into 2011, is there a particular format that works best for sitemaps? I have some flash content running my menu buttons up top on my new site so have created a text link for sitemap in an upper visible portion of my site. I have my sitemap laid out on paper but was wondering if html is the way to go for the sitemap prior to going live?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by AboutWeb View Post
    You can have a sitemap.xml for Google Webmaster Tools, and also a HTML Sitemap linked from your homepage.
    Some people advice to have links from menu on the footer also...
    Well, Tater, I think that AW has pretty well covered it for you.

Basically, think HTML for humans, XML for machines.

Every user's browser will natively handle HTML; but, they may or may not have XML viewing capability.

As for XML, the prescribed convention provides for including addition detail data about each page, details that are of interest to an SE but of no value to a user.

So I should have an HTML sitemap and have that linked to a menu button for users to access. I'm guessing this site map will be crawled? And then create a XML sitemap with google webmaster tools? Would I then submit the XML sitemap to Google to be crawled? Thanks guys! Learning... Slowly.

So I should have an HTML sitemap and have that linked to a menu button for users to access. I'm guessing this site map will be crawled?
    Crawled - probably. Gets complete and accurate information to robot dispatcher - don't count on it.

And then create a XML sitemap with google webmaster tools? Would I then submit the XML sitemap to Google to be crawled?
    Submit to Google and any other SE that provides for such that is of interest to you.

Only the XML format is standardized; additionally, it allows of additional parametric data that an HTML file does not.

Never rely on an HTML map to suffice in place of an XML one.

In either case, place such files in the root of your site, as the Domain Name is the one and only element re. your site that an SE is guaranteed to learn of, and thus the place that it first looks to for certain common files.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
    Crawled - probably. Gets complete and accurate information to robot dispatcher - don't count on it.

Submit to Google and any other SE that provides for such that is of interest to you.

Only the XML format is standardized; additionally, it allows of additional parametric data that an HTML file does not.

Never rely on an HTML map to suffice in place of an XML one.

In either case, place such files in the root of your site, as the Domain Name is the one and only element re. your site that an SE is guaranteed to learn of, and thus the place that it first looks to for certain common files.
    OK, even though the HTML sitemap may be crawled, it is for user experience and navigation. Don't count on it as your go-to when expecting your site to be indexed properly. XML sitemap is where it's at in terms of indexing and can be submitted manually to SEs of interest.

XML goes in the root directory so I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily need to be a visible link on the site? And if the XML sitemap is NOT submitted to SEs, they will find it regardless?

Thanks deepsand! One last question, what is the most reliable way to generate these types of sitemaps for someone who hasn't done it before? Or should I just have my web developer create them?

Thanks again!

OK, even though the HTML sitemap may be crawled, it is for user experience and navigation. Don't count on it as your go-to when expecting your site to be indexed properly. XML sitemap is where it's at in terms of indexing and can be submitted manually to SEs of interest.

XML goes in the root directory so I'm guessing it doesn't necessarily need to be a visible link on the site? And if the XML sitemap is NOT submitted to SEs, they will find it regardless?
    As XML site map is of no value to users, no visible link needed.

SEs that are seek an XML map will look for "sitemap.xml" in the root.

One last question, what is the most reliable way to generate these types of sitemaps for someone who hasn't done it before? Or should I just have my web developer create them?
    There are many site map generators to be had, both free and paid for. Which is the better for you will depend on the size of the site, whether or not manual editing (addition/deletion/change) features are needed, Specialized maps (image files, etc.) are needed, etal..

As a start, take a look at Sitenaps.org and http://www.google.com/search?q=sitem...b94ef403c105f7 .
    Last edited by deepsand; 05-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.