Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Creating And Maintaining Databases - how?

Creating And Maintaining Databases - how?

To stimulate a bit of discussion...

How do people generally create and maintain their databases?

Do they use graphical front ends? If so, is it virtual front ends provided by their hosts, or third party software.

Do they do it the hard way using TelNet?

Any recommendations for software based on personal experiences?

Or any other comments about maintaining databases.
    Sualdam

Creating & Maintaining Databases

In answer to your question, most people are on shared hosting servers where their database creation is usually limited to some sort of control panel. Table creation, however, is generally allowed through both the control panel and server-side code (PHP, ASP, Perl).

Obviously, those who use Access probably create tables on their desktop and upload - so we're talking about SQL, MySQL, etc. here.

Maintenance is generally clunky and time-consuming via control panels and is best done via password-protected 'admin' programs written by you or your database programmer.

A lot of designers have come to realize that server-side coding and databases are a totally separate field that is best handled by an expert. Of course, that cuts both ways since my design attempts are the equivalent of 'stick figure' art! ;)
    - Hank Castello
    Hidden Content

MySQL management tool

As mentioned above some hosting providers have a Panel in which you can manage e-mail addresses, subdomains, users, FTP accounts, etc. Sometimes they provide a integrated tool for managing your MySQL database(s).

- PhPMyADMIN -
    But in most cases they have installed PhPMyAdmin for managing the MySQL database. This is a free PhP tool that is very complete and professional. Website builders could also install this tool themselves when PhP is supported by the hoster.
    http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/

The above tool is not very useful for non-technical users, like the customer that wants the website to be build. Then a custom-build management system is better.... checks the input on correctness, provides as input field the values from another table, etc.

- .NET LIKE DEVELOPMENT IN PHP ? -
    I have not yet found an easy tool for building a Database management system that is flexible and nontechnical-user-friendly. Anyone??? .NET does make this part easier with its automated application generation.
    - it is all about communication -

SQL Server / Access

For my Access databases I use FTP to download / upload, for SQL Server I use Enterprise Manager - no need to Telnet if your ISP allows SQL server connections over the Internet.

I also use TableEditor from 2eNetworx - http://www.2enetworx.com/dev/projects/tableeditor.asp. Its not perfect but it can do simple jobs quicker than Enterprise Manager and export data to Excel and XML.

Access databases

I use Access as a front end database solution. When server updates are required, uploads via Enterprise Manager to the MS-SQL server are made.

Database maintenance is done through forms designed with Coldfusion. All maintenance is performed off the server. On one site we maintain a transaction log of all additions, changes and deletions.

Obviously, Coldfusion is used to drive the dynamic pages.
    Foye M Troute
    Internet Consultant/Developer

phpMyAdmin can be quite easy, it offers form based manipulation etc... similar to what you might find in Access's Query By Design. If you're more technical, just go ahead and type the SQL in the box, and forget the rest!

I use phpMyAdmin for most of MySQL management, sometimes I use Telnet instead!

Build and Maintaining Databases

Hello all, I have recently signed up on this web site, after receiving months of Web Pro News, which is a good thing.

Anyway, I write mainly ASP pages using MySQL and MS SQL and I have been practicing and perfecting as I go, database management, specifically, Content Management.

When I design a web site I try to weigh the content that is required and then determine how often it may be changed in order to justify the process development. So far, I have determined that most companies will require ongoing graphic changes, and/or advertising. Therefore, I wrote a graphics administration program with an HTML interface to MySQL or MS SQL Database, allowing people to maintain their own page updates, whether it is for the product pictures, logo or banners.

Furthermore, how often would they like to add content to their web site, either through affiliate programs and/or other, by adding additional pages. Therefore, I wrote a database driven menu system, allowing people to add, edit and delete menu items, providing once again, a self managed database driven system.

I cannot claim to be the expert in content management systems, however my passion is to become one, and be-one-with-my-code (just a little humor for you). I really enjoy it and when I create a web site for my clients, I promise 1 year of free upgrades which also includes 3-6 months of free support.

In closing for this post, practice makes perfect and when you have an idea you have to run with it. Now granted, I sometimes sell myself short creating processes like this because I do not receive ongoing maintenance fees to maintain the sites, but when something works well, you can however be counted on and called back to do some more development work. Plus, as you do the development work you can usually find ways to improve your services, like Plug-In ASP Modules, used as include files to HTML tables.

2 web sites that are database driven web sites using MySQL and self managed by the customer can e viewed at: http://www.janlaing.ca and http://www.signature-promotions.ca .

I hope this helps open some eyes and shows some of the possibilities to using Dtabase Management with ASP, MySQL and MSSQL.
    Regards,

Tom Cullen

Re: Build and Maintaining Databases

Quote Originally Posted by Starmanager
    Now granted, I sometimes sell myself short creating processes like this because I do not receive ongoing maintenance fees to maintain the sites,
    But you also don't have to drop what you are doing and change someone's email address through 20 pages cause they thought the new one sounded better..

naw.. I'm not bitter :)
    Hidden Content - PHP development site. featuring Squito Gallery. a php driven photo gallery.
    Hidden Content - Specializing in Internet solutions, including Html authoring, Interactive Web sites, 3D/2D Graphics and animation.

Build and Maintaining Databases

Thanx Redcircle, I will take that as a compliment -I think :)

That is exactly my point too, so when I build that into the program, I would not have to go and change the email address everytime the customer wants something new.

User friendly and less headaches! Even if they move, they simply go to their web site and make the changes that would reflect ALL positions on the web site where their information is displayed.
    Regards,

Tom Cullen