Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Why WPW Should Not Discuss Google Toolbar PR Anymore

Re: Why WPW Should Not Discuss Google Toolbar PR Anymore

Quote Originally Posted by williamc
    Maybe you fail to realize that google does not own the PageRank algo?
    So you mean that they can not use that name and compute it in another way?

Quote Originally Posted by kgun
    But I agree with you, that PR is (most probably) not computed by that simplistic formula and that only some people inside Google knows the exact forumla in august 2006. Trust factors may be incorporated into the formula by using AI.
    I also agree with you here.

Here's another excellent article about PageRank, which seems to agree with the first one, and is just as laughable. The authors of it certainly shouldn't be in the search engine business! Maybe we should send them the URL of this thread so that they can learn a few things.
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters

Digression.

"Generally, you can do a KW search for a term, and then do an allinanchor check and you'll see a almost exact correlation."
    Source: Google Search Codes

KW search on Google.

allinanchor:"web search engine"

Google no 1.

allinanchor:"advanced search engine"

Alta Vista no 1.

Description:
    "AltaVista provides the most comprehensive search experience on the Web!"

Then delete the allinanchor operator and repeat the search.

Related link:
    The importance of relevant anchor text in IBL's

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblehelp
    well I doubt anybody that doesnt work at Google knows for sure. That is why that article is pretty funny.
    Seems to be a pretty flimsy defense of your comment.. The issue is that Google doesn't own the PR algo, Stanford does I believe.. And even if the PR algo has been modified, which is very likely, it does not negate the value of any of the articles referred to in this thread.. Especially not to the point you went..

So, if this isn't how it works, how does it work?? And if you can't say how it works, how can you say that the article is wrong??

Is this why you didn't want PR discussion to happen at WPW??
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

Funny stuff Feydakin. Here is how I look at it. The Google toolbar PR is completely worthless. Any SEO with a grain of salt will agree with this.

Now internal PR that only Google knows is worth something and has considerable value when computing how your website will rank. Do you know how that is computed? No. No one but those that work for Google knows how this works. This is obviously true. So why in the world would I (or anyone for that matter) believe that data posted in the articles above?

The bottomline for me is I don't worry much about PR. SEO on a organic basis is not rocket science and it sure as hell cant be define through mathematical formulas posted by Phil Craven.

We need to stop the madness of making organic SEO harder than it should be. Sure every website is different and presents its own unique set of problems when trying to get it ranked, but I know than last thing on my mind when optimizing a website is Google PR, internal or from that shitball, confusing as hell toolbar.

First, I agree that the publicly available PR in the toolbar is just this side of worthless as anyhting other than a way to get webmasters to install the toolbar..

But three years ago, when Phil's article was written, it was quite relevant, and quite accurate on the details of how PR worked at the time.. Mostly because it was based on Brin and Page's paper that was published at Stanford.. To say that anything holds it's relevance in the search engine world for three years would be stretching the imagination, and to outright attack someone based on 3 year old information is indiciatve of an underlying issue between you and Phil, and not on the actual information at hand.. Especially when presented the way you did..

Hence my reaction and questions.. It's intellectually irresponsible to declare something invalid without being able to back up your claims with fact.. I think that we can all agree that three years ago that article was probably pretty accurate.. And it is at least based on some valid research.. But it may not be as relevant today.. But no one knows for sure, so attacking someone over it seems irresponsible, especially when it comes from a MOD..

And this leads us back to one of the many reasons I rarely participate here at WPW (not that anyone here probably cares).. It seems that many of the threads devolve in to pissing matches between people that should know better.. Sure, controversry spawns posts.. But it also spawns contempt..
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

I just wanted to bump up this old thread, since the useless TBPR is so hot right now.

And obviously that has my full support also.

Quote Originally Posted by incrediblehelp View Post
    I just wanted to bump up this old thread, since the useless TBPR is so hot right now.

Here is another.

Programming, internet and rocket science.

Potential heading for a new one. "When SEO and SEM experts crash out of orbit."

This was what the democratic WWW could not tolerate.