Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To resubmit or not to resubmit after major site overhaul

Re: so...

Quote Originally Posted by cctech
    What is the determining factor in whether you do a 301 redirect or not? I am assuming, after reading these posts, that there are times when one would want to take the time do do one AND YET there would be times when one might reason that it was not worth the time. Thoughts?

Also, if one did a 301 on a site that previously had very little traffic and a PR of 0, is it best to have everything point to the www URL? or does it matter one way or the other, as long as everything points to the same spot (IBLs, for example)?

Thanks to all for taking their time with this.
    It appears that this portion of my question is still open. Or, if it was answered, maybe I am too dense to have picked up on it. :)

cctech have done ANY reading on 301 redirects other than asking questions here in this thread?

Your questions should be answered by yourself. Especially the on time. It is up to you if you want to do one or not.

The next question on redirecting the old URL to the www or non-www is also up to you. You have to decide these items not us. Most of websites I have seen consider the www domain as the primary.

I was using this forum as well as other sources on the Net. I have done ALLOT of reading on 301s in the past few days. And I have found out that there are many different opinions on when to do them and when it does not matter, etc. Many of these differing opinions show up in some of the posts in this thread.
    I was not asking for you or anyone else to make the decision for me. I was just trying to be as certain as possible before I went and took a step which I previously knew little about and that could potentially cause havoc with a web site.

Thanks for your time so far...don't spend anymore of it on this.

Re: To resubmit or not to resubmit after major site overhaul

One more reason to use redirects and custom 404 pages: the human being who may have bookmarked a page that has now disappeared, or who has followed an old inbound link to your site (perhaps from a search engine). That's exactly who you want to keep on your site. I know this is a search engine forum, but let's not forget it's all about people in the end!
    Heather Holm
    Web Design: www.holmpage.com
    Nova Scotia: www.NovaScotiaPhotoAlbum.com

cctech sorry to sound a little stand offish earlier. Some of your questions just started to loop a little bit. Ask us exactly what you want redirected (with an exmaple, from where to where) and I am sure we can post the code.

Been outta town

No problem incredi... We just wanted to make sure we got it right. I think we are getting there (or else further away)

Thanks for your help.