Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search Engines Theory/Possibility?

Search Engines Theory/Possibility?

The majority of the sites that are ranking high, tend to the take the user deeper and deeper into their internal content.

Since no one understands or know how the Algo for search engines work - could there be the possibility that for natural search the engines actually base a % of their ranking on the clickthrough rate?

No, Ask Jeeves - Maybe - it certainly likes the busier sites -but as for click through, if that was the case then the PPC advertisers would stop advertising simply through spam hits.

If the engines were to use clikthru data at all it could only be from their own listings to the first page of the site ranking, and that has been tested rather well by several people and shown to not be used currently. The engines have no way of tracking clicks from the landing page to other pages in your site.
    William Cross
    Web Development by Those Damn Coders
    Firearm Friendly Websites because our constitution matters

ahaa!! that makes sense william.. didnt think of that! do you think Google new metric tool will use that against us? ;)

They cant if we dont use it. :P
    William Cross

which really means - if we do? we are in big trouble ;)

What?

You're saying that visitors don't like your site if you think you'll have trouble by using it. Is that really the case? Personally, I could only see a boost from using it, as our visitors actively engage our site and do a TON of browsing around. We get a low percentage of bouncing visitors.

So, do your visitors dislike your site or are you doing blackhat stuff? Those are the sites that should think twice about the analytics data being in Google's hands.

Brian.
    ToolBarn.com, an Internet Retailer Top 500 and Inc. 500 Company | Tool Parts | Pet Supplies

Re: What?

Quote Originally Posted by brian.mark
    You're saying that visitors don't like your site if you think you'll have trouble by using it. Is that really the case? Personally, I could only see a boost from using it, as our visitors actively engage our site and do a TON of browsing around. We get a low percentage of bouncing visitors.

So, do your visitors dislike your site or are you doing blackhat stuff? Those are the sites that should think twice about the analytics data being in Google's hands.

Brian.

Brian please notice the :P smilie after my post. It was said in jest.
    William Cross

but - there is no law stopping google from using the data. And whats more? they are getting it for free with no consent!

I always wondered why would someone give away something free? and the answers always comes back to the fact (nothing is free). There is always something taken in return. It would be nice if they highlight what will be taken in return...

Re: What?

Quote Originally Posted by brian.mark

You know, this brings up an interesting question for me. One of my sites has a high bounce rate. A large percentage of users visit twenty or more pages, but the next largest percentage clicks away after viewing only one page. I've never been at all concerned because overall the traffic is good, and the overall page views per user is good. I don't see it as users not liking my site - some find what they're looking for and others realize right away they're not in the right place!

I have a good stats program, so haven't jumped in with Google Analytics yet - but have been considering it. But if that bounce rate might hurt my rankings later on, I'd definitely reconsider.

What do you think brian.mark?