Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: "No Right Click" alternative needed!

"No Right Click" alternative needed!

I'm in the process of redesigning an art website. The current site has image hotlinking blocked using the .htaccess file, but still has a problem with images being copied to the visitors hard drive.

The more savvy visitor can get around the "No Right Click" script that most sites implement to deter image copying by checking the source code for the image name, taking a snapshot of the window, or checking the browers cache files.

But I once saw a script that I COULDN'T get around and was wondering if anyone knew how to implement it.

When you'd click on an image thumbnail to view the larger image, a new browser window would open, with just the image displayed and no menu bar or scrollbar. If you tried to right OR left click anywhere the window would close.. even if you clicked outside of the image window. If you pressed any key on your keyboard, the window would close. When I looked for the image in my cache files, it wasn't there.. some sort of "NO CACHE" command perhaps? If there is such a thing?

My scripting abilities are limited to changing a couple of parameters, but that's about it. I could never figure out how to go about writing this particular script much less any other kind of script.

Any ideas?

Thanx! Carrie**

WebProWorld MVP
    Basically if you can view something you can copy it, using print screen or some free application, you don't need to go digging through the cache and you don't even need to disable JavaScript.

The best you can do is use low resolution watermarked images and accept that some rogue will pinch the images or parts of them.

Quote Originally Posted by speed
    Basically if you can view something you can copy it, using print screen or some free application, you don't need to go digging through the cache and you don't even need to disable JavaScript.
    Yes, that's the way I've always understood it as well. Print screen or any other application (HyperSnap, etc.) requires a key press or mouse click, which would immediately close the window. I think that with the exception of disabling JavaScript, there's no way around it. That's what intrigued me so much about this particular script.

Quote Originally Posted by speed
    The best you can do is use low resolution watermarked images and accept that some rogue will pinch the images or parts of them.
    The images do have a visible watermark noting their URL which has increased traffic to the point of having to block sites outside the US, since they've never purchased anything anyway.

Using lower resolution images was considered but quickly dropped since they're an art for sale site.

Thanx for your quick response, speed (ooo! that's why they call you speed... eh? lol!)

Carrie**