Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: webmaster@example.com standard?

webmaster@example.com standard?

Hi there,
    I'd like your help in finding out, if there is an Internet standard covering or recomending the existance of a webmaster@example.com account or if that is just a usual curtesy. If you feel (like I) it is a standard, can you point me to where it is decalred so (W3C, etc.)

Thanks

K<o>

I doubt it has been 'declared', though it is generally accepted to be so.
    Freelance IT consultant & SEO marketing
    Private message for contact information

Hmm I guess most people assume there is an info@ and a webmaster@ and when they can not find an addressn on your site (fast enough) they will send a message to one of those.
    And as most people assume this, most webmasters or website owners create these addresses to not miss out on any messages.

But please note spammers also assume you have these addresses... So I think there will be a lot of mail very soon. (for this reason I usually do not mention email addresses on a website but create a support ticket system or have a contact form on your site...)
    MultiCards Internet Billing
    Hidden Content

Thanks all,
    I'm aware what is the convention and I know how to handle it for myself. What I'm really looking for is a standard that mandates the webmaster e-mail address to be present, like a post master has to be defined for SMTP servers.

I actually found RFC 2142 that gives guidance or mandates different e-mail addresses being created and managed for different protocols accepted at any server.

Unfortunately I couldn't determine a status of acceptance for this RFC. but I could not determine the acceptance of RFC821 (SMTP) either.

That clarifies it for me.

K<o>

I don't think there is a standard per se. Personally, I've never used a webmaster@example.com email address for any of my clients' sites, since most of the ones I do are commercial and the design of the site is usually the last thing people legitimately want to email about.

The other reason I don't do it is because it is one of the most common addresses and thus would be an easy target for spam.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAMWebDesign
    I don't think there is a standard per se. Personally, I've never used a webmaster@example.com email address for any of my clients' sites, since most of the ones I do are commercial and the design of the site is usually the last thing people legitimately want to email about.

The other reason I don't do it is because it is one of the most common addresses and thus would be an easy target for spam.
    Well Adam,
    then you better start doing so. RFC 2142 clearly states that you should accept e-mail at these addresses on every server that you serve HTTP or SMTP, ... from.

Have a look this is actually one of the layperson friendly RFC papers and it is only a few pages. the purpose is not commenting on design but on things such as availability of the server, broken links, etc.

The reason why I asked is that I got into a dispute with a webmaster at a site, that fights for the correct implementation of webstandards and when I reported a broken link to this standard address, it bounced with an error message saying it does not accept HTML e-mail. He lectured me that his favorite e-mail reader does not read HTML or mime-multi part messages and that most of it is SPAM anyway. I can understand the SPAM argument, but I wanted to see if I only had a convention in mind or if my position was back by an actual RFC (the way Internet standards are expressed).

I just find it ironic, that the webmaster of a really great group of people working on standards compliance refuses to accept standard conform e-mail. These folks work in our all interest, challenging browser programmers to implement standards conform, so we don't have to do the many cross browser hacks and limit our expressions to the least common denominator and yet their webmaster thinks he can just pick and choose what additional layer of conditions he puts on the implementation of a standard.

By the way there are much better ways of fighting SPAM, then ignoring standards. I believe businesses can't avoid to deal with it, because they want to make sure they are responsive to their clients. I think if you know most of this is spam use it to train a good baysian spam filter with it, rather than implement non standard conforming web-services.

May be just me, but I think it makes life easier if all people drive on the "right" side of the road. ;-)

K<o>