Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Access question

Access question

hi.
    i have a database of contacts that people in my office access through an online mini portal.
    the information this database holds has become inadequate, as we need to keep track of ongoing events with different clients.
    save buying a contact information manager, or buying shares in the postit company, how can i add this feature to the portal? i want the user to be able to search for a client and, along with the database results, recieve the series of interactions that have so far taken place with the client, and be able to update this list.
    if it seems hopeless, could anyone reccomend a good client management software package? i've heard ACT is good, but that i should buy the older version (6.0). what do you think?
    thanks a lot for your time.

Karl

My first impression on your Access question is that there should be a solution in the design of your Forms and the way they are linked to the Tables. If you send me some screen shots with a little more explanation, I may be able to help. I don't see how ACT would resolve this problem. You may have to consider using the Access dbase as a prototype/spec for a web developer to convert.
    Kurt Rodenhizer, 283 Cabot Street, Suite 14, Beverly, MA 01915
    Hidden Content

I'd tend to agree with krodenhizer. A good portion of the answer to your question will depend on the structure of the database (which, if it's like most Access database setups, is 1-5 unlinked tables with no real structure or relationships defined).

My own suggestion to you would be to use ASP (or find a developer that knows it) and design web-based forms to query, retrieve, and modify data accordingly.

There are other issues to consider as well, such as security. What info is stored in the database? Is it confidential? Is it sensitive? If either is true, especially the latter, you may want to look at other solutions.

ACCESS answer

Hi Your statement was: i want the user to be able to search for a client and, along with the database results, recieve the series of interactions that have so far taken place with the client, and be able to update this list.
    if it seems hopeless,

It AIN'T HOPELESS!.....

Check out this link: http://www.gochipmunk.com/html/home.html

Top row of choices: click on "Type Manager" choice.
    I won't go into long explanations here.

The *.pdf page has 9 pages of show and tell. (You need Acrobat reader on your machine...
    If you don't have it . . . go to www.adobe.com and get a free copy to view the .pdf file)

Page 7 will show some strange characters in the 2 white spaces (bottom center) ...
    like [8b or [re . . . then some text.
    These are macros for type face changes which takes place inside
    Quark Xpress typesetting program.

After viewing these 9 pages click your browser back button -
    returns you to more choices then click on "Coupon Style" choice . . . .
    view that *.pdf file and you'll see what I mean about type face changes.