Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: **Need Help: web hosting**

**Need Help: web hosting**

Need help:

Just want to know if it's possible to use two web hosting services under one Domain name.

Is it possible to host your website/domain using two web hosting services at the same time.

My current web hosting service doesn't allow FTP access and i have 1,600 pages to upload. It also doesn't allow *.exe files upload.

Can i stay with my current hosting company but host certain pages on a diffrent hosting company??

thanks

Joseph

jopatservices,
    would it not be easier to totally move to someone who can provide you with what you require?
    M0rtyM0use

Hidden Content

Re: **Need Help: web hosting**

Quote Originally Posted by jopatservices
    Can i stay with my current hosting company but host certain pages on a diffrent hosting company??
    No, not under the same domain name. I've never heard of a hosting company that doesn't allow FTP access. That's useless. Move. :)

It is not possible using the domain name, you would have to use an IP or something for the pages on another host.

Wouldn't it just be easier to move hosts altogether?

Karen

hmmm yes, strange that a host doesn't allow ftp

And, why would you even want to balance the hosting on one site to 2 servers?
    I would have to say, prepare to move also
    Web Hosting Guru
    | Need Hidden Content ?

Hi Joseph,
    Yes, you can forward a section of the site onto another host if your registrar handles subdomains, or if you have access to your nameserver. Just point the sub.domain.com to the new server. Many of the big Internet companies use this to implement sections of their service, such as mail or message boards to another server to relieve stress from their main site. If not you can simply set up a new page and forward it to the new server using links or even a refresh script set to "0". You will have to register a new url, such as xyz1.com instead of xyz.com.

But as everyone else has said, why bother doing it. If your provider doesn't allow you to ftp in, move the whole domain to someone that does. It sounds like you want to jump through a whole bunch of hoops for no reason.

RJ
    I started an Internet business so I could work normal hours...

what happened?

It is possible to host different pages on different servers; however, the question is "why?" Most sites (and by most, I mean 99.9%) don't even go so far as needing one server to host their site due to the resources that it consumes. Heck, most web design companies don't even have a dedicated server; usually they resell hosting for their clients or refer clients to hosts.

The other question that comes to mind is "why do you have 1600 pages?" If I were you, I'd look into putting at least portions of your site into a database and drawing the information out using a programming language.

Having said all that, a host not offering FTP access is very rare. I can't think of any paid host (except for possibly Very Sly/No-Value Web) that would not offer FTP access.

Not to avoid the question.. but to address the initial reason..

If your host supports 'ssh'.. then you can use 'scp' to copy those files to the server and lack of ftp is no longer an issue.

There are windows version of the client that makes life easy.

Drop me a note if you need more details.
    Hidden Content and Coffee Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    Not to avoid the question.. but to address the initial reason..

If your host supports 'ssh'.. then you can use 'scp' to copy those files to the server and lack of ftp is no longer an issue.

There are windows version of the client that makes life easy.

Drop me a note if you need more details.
    true, however...
    more and more hosts are not allowing SSH access, so I highly doubt an ftp-less host is going to give him that
    Web Hosting Guru
    | Need Hidden Content ?