Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Sitting Down? Well, Get Up Now and Save Your Life

Are You Sitting Down? Well, Get Up Now and Save Your Life

I imagine most of you are like me: you work online, sitting down. I knew sitting was a bad thing, but I didn't realize that 1 hour of vigorous exercise is not enough to make up for 11 hours sitting - and those of us who "sit for a living" are 50% more likely to die of heart disease. I do try to get up once an hour and stretch or walk around ... every half hour is probably preferable. This video has some great ideas on how to get moving at work.

Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

I will have to watch the video later, but thank you. Thankfully the way my job works is I often have to get-up and go to the printer or fax.
    cd :O)

A good case for the "stand-up" work station.

I go to my Keurig every hour and a half or so. And sometimes, a separate trek to the kitchen fridge or cupboards. I do a daily walk to the post office (approx 2km), but soon the fall/winter weather will get in the way. Good post MJ.
    Web Design Markham
    Responsive WordPress Web Design
    Online SEO Press Releases Markham.

In Denmark and Sweden it is compulsory to have desk that elevates to standing position, so people can alternate between sitting and standing. To move the body is still preferable though. also think what it does to your eyes starring at the monitor all day. human body is designed for movement. i always slip into the garden for an hour to do some work there.

I damaged my back when I was a teenager and found that working in shops bars etc, my back hurt, but was largely okay. However when I started working sitting down, it killed it. Vision blurry from pain etc. So every half hour or so I got up and walk about. Doesn't solve the problem, but it keeps the pain under control.

I bought one of those armbands that counts how many calories I am burning in the day. On days when I am sitting at my desk working, I only burn 1500 calories. On days when I am up and about its more like 2000. Unfortunately my appetite seems to be slow to catch up on this. I am just as hungry on seated days as I am on the active ones.

I did watch a tv show that suggested to wriggle around when sitting, the way kids do, but at work it could be a bit embarassing and annoying to constantly fidget at your desk.

Also I remember from years back, there was a kids tv show in UK called tomorrows world. They did a memorable show about how humans were likely to evolve and came to the conclusion we would evolve to have huge backsides due to sitting down so much.

I have a Fitbit One, chandrika, an activity monitor similar to your wrist band. It has made a huge difference in how much exercise I get, and I've lost 25 pounds since May without dieting. I do eat less, but I don't restrict what I eat ... my appetite is less and less.

Sorry to hear about your back, Taylor.

<wriggling as I type>
    Need to write a love letter to Google? I'm an SEO Copywriter who knows Search Smart DesignŽ. | Travel Gypsy in Key West. | Get the Cyber Key to SEO Web Design.

Small Incremental Changes over time can have big and long lasting effects (Hey sounds like SEO :O) ).

Studies show that making Lifestyle changes instead of dieting are far longer lasting.

I started a Weight Loss Journey over 2-years ago. I lost 43 lbs, got off my Blood Pressure and Asthma medicine, and am now training for a marathon. This was all through small changes over time.

I did recently have to make some somewhat drastic changes for health reasons, but those were much easier to make since I had already "trained" myself to accept change. :O)

Recently, my two teen age boys who are relentless pests, said, Man, Dad, you really have lost weight. They were looking at my old Driver's license picture. That was a good day.

I am not some fitness guru or endowed with superpowers. If I can do it, anyone can. :O)

Well done MJ!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
    I have a Fitbit One, chandrika, an activity monitor similar to your wrist band. It has made a huge difference in how much exercise I get, and I've lost 25 pounds since May without dieting. I do eat less, but I don't restrict what I eat ... my appetite is less and less.

Sorry to hear about your back, Taylor.

<wriggling as I type>
    I wish I had got the fitbit. I got a Ki Fit and although it is excellent, I didnt realise when I bought it that the only way to read the calories burnt is to pay a a yearly subscription to their website that analyses the data collected.

The fitbit I think has a free app that can be used. Much better system.

Well done on the 25pounds, that is good going. I lost some weight a couple of years ago, it has started to creep back on, so I am also trying hard to keep it off. I think you are right, that the key is to move more. Dieting is really hard. Oh and building muscle, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even whilst resting.

Just read this article and thought of this thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996

If you stand for three hours a day for five days that's around 750 calories burnt. Over the course of a year it would add up to about 30,000 extra calories, or around 8lb of fat.

"If you want to put that into activity levels," Dr Buckley says, "then that would be the equivalent of running about 10 marathons a year. Just by standing up three or four hours in your day at work."