Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Handy tip for saving sanity

Handy tip for saving sanity

I just thought that I'd pass this tip along seeing that this is probably the place everyone would most appreciate it:
    After resizing your screen (or just general IE6 behavior) do you find that when you open your browser it appears partially, or even totally, offscreen so that you cannot access the title bar to move it?
    Press "alt + spacebar" and then "m". It opens the 'file menu' and places your cursor so that you can move the browser window with the arrow keys!
    Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
    Steven Wright

Hey mikmik,

That's a great trick.

Maybe you or someone else can answer this question...

I'm having a problem right now that when IE opens, it opens so I can only see the blue bar and it's about 3 inches wide. I have to double-click it to open it all the way. Although not the end of the world, it is annoying. This normally occurs when I righy-click a link and open in new window.
    Web Hosting Guru
    | Need Hidden Content ?

Dont maximize the browser window just stretch it to fit the screen and position it where you want. The next time you open IE it will keep those settings.

Joe
    Joe
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Gift Registry For Any Occassion

ahhh, great !

I had this problem before, but couldn't remember how I fixed it.

Thanks jdiben
    Web Hosting Guru
    | Need Hidden Content ?

weirdness

Hi cyanide. Thats funny cause I was just wondering what is going on with my IE6 lately. I'm not sure about your prob but I'm fairly sure I read about that openning in a small window thing not long ago, so I'll try to locate it, might've been in an email I saved.
    My IE keeps opening in differrent sizes at random. I was just reading about the windows updates having some weird effects for people all over - lots of scrolling/graphics issues.
    I will check for tomorrow about IE for you.
    Babies don't need a vacation, but I still see them at the beach... it pisses me off! I'll go over to a little baby and say 'What are you doing here? You haven't worked a day in your life!'
    Steven Wright

jdiben is right about resizing it then it will hold that setting. Because I am always resizing & moving around my windows, I had that occur often, and had to follow the same procedure. I then started using a double line task bar (because I run so many progs at once), & it seems to force the window into the right place all the time now.

Cindy
    [url returns 404 - removed by mod 07/11]
    It' time for Progressive Web & IT Development!

The only problem (although not a big deal) is sizing it myself, it won't be 'maximized'. Still have to hit that button between the - & X to maximize it.

Hi mikmik,
    Ever since IE6 came out it was full of problems, so I never bothered to upgrade (still using IE5.5)

I thought it had stabilized by now -guess not !?

Thanks for checking.
    Web Hosting Guru
    | Need Hidden Content ?

Leeds United all the way!

It is designed this bloody way on purpose!

Here is the fix: Size the Internet Explorer window as you want it--even at its maximum. Hold down Shift and close the window (click the X at the far right of the Title bar). Now every time IE opens, the window will be at that size.

I found this tip here; http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...,105821,00.asp .
    I'm not sure if this is the right fix, but I followed a link from the above page and got this page that seems to describe the problem exactly: http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...3,pg,33,00.asp .

Looks like pretty good site!
    Steven Wright

Well you might be a bit late to save my sanity, but you have saved me much grief mik!

Been having trouble with that browser window opening maximized and off the screen when previewing my work in Front Page for sometime now, and I had no clue how I got there, nor how to get it out of there. Had tried resizing and closing it, but for some reason it wouldn't stick. Although the Alt, Spacebar, M theory didn't work; Alt, Spacebar gave me the pop up menu for minimize/restore/close and upon clicking on restore, it downsized the window which hasn't been working straight out of the gate in Front Page, and I was thus able to move the window, then apply the Shift, X theorem to make it pop-up top-left oriented where it's supposed too!!!

Thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom Mik!

Rocky

Long ago lost my grip!

rocky1 so kindly put it
    Thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom Mik!
    Thanks rocky1! We all have our own special talents, I happen to find and collect lots of computer tips and you, for instance, have a great collection of fishing jokes. I happen upon my knowledge out of desperation. Where as an average person might make the same mistake once or twice to learn their lesson, I was (and still am) able to make the same mistakes several dozens of times, so maybe my 'genius' lies in not knowing when to quit! [o;
    Steven Wright