Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reconsideration Request

Reconsideration Request

Following penguin, I made a few changes to my site and submitted it for reconsideration through GWT. As I only did this last Saturday 28/04 I was rather surprised to find that I had a reply already this morning. This is what it says:

"Reconsideration request for http://www.altinkumpropertyforsale.com/: No manual spam actions found May 2, 2012

Dear site owner or webmaster of http://www.altinkumpropertyforsale.com/,
    We received a request from a site owner to reconsider http://www.altinkumpropertyforsale.com/ for compliance with Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
    We reviewed your site and found no manual actions by the webspam team that might affect your site's ranking in Google. There's no need to file a reconsideration request for your site, because any ranking issues you may be experiencing are not related to a manual action taken by the webspam team.
    Of course, there may be other issues with your site that affect your site's ranking. Google's computers determine the order of our search results using a series of formulas known as algorithms. We make hundreds of changes to our search algorithms each year, and we employ more than 200 different signals when ranking pages. As our algorithms change and as the web (including your site) changes, some fluctuation in ranking can happen as we make updates to present the best results to our users.
    If you've experienced a change in ranking which you suspect may be more than a simple algorithm change, there are other things you may want to investigate as possible causes, such as a major change to your site's content, content management system, or server architecture. For example, a site may not rank well if your server stops serving pages to Googlebot, or if you've changed the URLs for a large portion of your site's pages. This article has a list of other potential reasons your site may not be doing well in search.
    If you're still unable to resolve your issue, please see our Webmaster Help Forum for support.
    Sincerely,
    Google Search Quality Team"

I was hoping that they would look at it manually, but this makes it clear that unless they have previously intervened manually they aren't going to do that.
    Last edited by rah; 05-03-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: unlink urls

Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    Following penguin, I made a few changes to my site and submitted it for reconsideration through GWT. As I only did this last Saturday 28/04 I was rather surprised to find that I had a reply already this morning. This is what it says:

"Reconsideration request for http://www.altinkumpropertyforsale.com/: No manual spam actions found May 2, 2012
    You don't file a re-inclusion request unless it's a response to a penalty that they had informed you about through WMT. Everyone who submits a re-inclusion request as a "cold call" will receive this message.

If you want to be reconsidered as an innocent victim for the Penguin update then use the penguin update form here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...bkE6MQ&ndplr=1

Otherwise just keep plugging along. Not doing well as you'd like is not a reason to file a re-inclusion request through WMT.

3. The Following 2 users agree with claybutler:
    Quote Originally Posted by claybutler View Post
    Not doing well as you'd like is not a reason to file a re-inclusion request through WMT.
    I already completed the Penguin update form as well. Although I know now about the reconsideration request, I didn't at the time and this was based on what Google actually says at WMT:
    "If your site isn't appearing in Google search results, or it's performing more poorly than it once did (and you believe that it does not violate our Webmaster Guidelines), you can ask Google to reconsider your site." (my italics) (http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=35843).
    There is no mention there about manual penalties and in fact it specifically says that we should file if we don't believe we are in violation.
    That coupled with "performing more poorly than it once did" were the reasons why I submitted.

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    If your site is totally missing from all searches, then you have been manually slapped; if your SERP ranks precipitously drop in the absence of a recent algo. change, you may have been manually slapped.

The phrase "you believe that it does not violate our Webmaster Guidelines" does not exclude the possibility of a manual action having occurred, but rather advises against so filing if you believe you might presently be in violation of said guidelines. I.e., if you think that you're not clean, fix it before filing.

I think that what WMT says is open to interpretation and should be worded more precisely, but what I have read here and elsewhere since has clarified it and I don't doubt that what you say is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    I think that what WMT says is open to interpretation and should be worded more precisely, but what I have read here and elsewhere since has clarified it and I don't doubt that what you say is correct.
    What Google says in intentionally vague to shield them from liability. One time a law firm I was battling with claimed that my postings about my troubles with them had crossed the line into libel. After we went through the list, and I told them what I was going to change, and what I was holding my ground on, I asked them if this settles it.

"So are we cool now if I make these changes?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Because if I told you we wouldn't sue you after you made those changes it would be an enforceable contract and we aren't going to put ourselves into that position."

"Ok, so if I don't hear from you again I can assume that we are cool right?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Ok, then I'm going to make these changes and if there is something you have a problem with you will probably let me now but you can't tell me that and that's my own interpretation of this conversation."

"I can't say either way."

"Uhhh. Ok. Well I'm going to hang up now."

This is how Google behaves. If they actually told you specifically what you needed to change and what the results would be, you could hold them to it. If it was a paid service like adwords they can do that because you signed a contract with entered into the service. However, organic search is just a freebie. They don't want to get into a "he said, she said" battle over free search results.

Thank you for explaining that so fully, it puts it into a perspective that I hadn't seen.

RE reconsideration requests. I'd recommend you watching this video:

Listen to what Matt Cutts says after he says "let me take this opportunity..."
    See, when you file a reconsideration request, and there has been no manual action against your site, you'll just get one of the standard replies like the one the OP got.

How do we know if someone has reported a site as spamming? There are people online who lie about me (I DON'T spam). I just don't get how someone can go from the #1 spot to #5 for no reason at all. You would think if my site was this bad, I would have been affected a long time ago.

How am I supposed to know if it is manual or algorithmic & did they suddenly start doing manual reviews at the same time they did Penguin?

Michelle

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Manual actions well predate Penguin, and are to generate a notification as a matter of normal procedure.