Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defrag discussion

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    it's amazing how many files can get fragmented just from restarting a PC
    It's amazing how the OS moves previously fragmented files of all types so that they become fragmented.

WebProWorld MVP TrafficProducer's Avatar
    Ultradefrag Free (Defrag software)

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

UltraDefrag is a powerful Open Source Defragmentation tool for the Windows Platform. It can defragment any system files including registry hives and paging file. Also one of the main goals of UltraDefrag is doing the job as fast and reliable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TrafficProducer View Post
    Ultradefrag Free (Defrag software)

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html
    Why does this SourceForge website always hide all the download areas where you can't find them??

EDIT: I found it, under "Files". I wonder what's wrong with a "Download" link.
    Last edited by Clint1; 04-30-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint1 View Post
    Why does this SourceForge website always hide all the download areas where you can't find them??

EDIT: I found it, under "Files". I wonder what's wrong with a "Download" link.
    No Evil so far as I am aware

The download versions are here
    http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/e....html?download

See my "EDIT" ^, I found it after a lot of looking around.

I haven't installed it yet to see what it does.

I just used the Auslogic's version to optimize a 16gb USB flash drive (3.78gb used) and it took 1.5 hours. (I have TV shows on it that I missed, and lately they would all spontaneously stop with 5-10 minutes left in the clip, and then start playing the next video. So I thought I would try and optimize it to see if that would help. It was not fragmented. It moved used clusters that were in the "Slow" zone to the "Fast" zone).

{removed extraneous text}
    Last edited by weegillis; 05-02-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: requested edit

USB flash drive like SSD no defrag

USB flash drive like SSD not to be defraged

SSD Defragmentation; This is not usually recommended for Solid State Drives. This is because the drive management software generally scatters the data throughout the storage medium to avoid rewriting to the same location repeatedly which could cause that memory cell to fail. Unlike traditional HHD each memory cell has the same access speed anyway.

SSD may have some problems at this time; they still have problems with data being writing to the same memory location causing failures, (most SSDrive have coding method of minimise this issue.) They are, at this time expensive for the same storage sizes as HHD, regular hard drives. They have lower storage capacity's than HHD, These problems are very likely to be overcome within the next year or two. Note that it is said that traditional HHD's also produce errors quite often but the built in error checking codes correct these errors, (on-the-fly), as they are being used so users don't normally notice these errors.

http://www.acomputerportal.com/solid_state_drives.html

See my "EDIT" ^, I found it after a lot of looking around.

I haven't installed it yet to see what it does.

I just used the Auslogic's version to optimize a 16gb USB flash drive (3.78gb used) and it took 1.5 hours. (I have TV shows on it that I missed, and lately they would all spontaneously stop with 5-10 minutes left in the clip, and then start playing the next video. So I thought I would try and optimize it to see if that would help. It was not fragmented. It moved used clusters that were in the "Slow" zone to the "Fast" zone).

I'm going to ask a mod to move the defrag part of this thread to a new one when I get the chance, because there may be some helpful defrag info here.

USB flash drive like SSD not to be defraged

SSD Defragmentation; This is not usually recommended for Solid State Drives. This is because the drive management software generally scatters the data throughout the storage medium to avoid rewriting to the same location repeatedly which could cause that memory cell to fail. Unlike traditional HHD each memory cell has the same access speed anyway.
    Yeah I knew all that; (which is why I have yet to get one. "Wear-leveling" also still isn't ready for prime-time, and I don't trust any data on USB flash drives either). Like I said: "I have TV shows on it that I missed, and lately they would all spontaneously stop with 5-10 minutes left in the clip, and then start playing the next video. So I thought I would try and optimize it to see if that would help." I'm not aware of any USB flash drives that have any "drive management software" (unless it's a secret).

I am unfamiliar with the term "HHD", I believe you mean "HDD" ("hard disk drive", or I just use "HD", "hard drive").

yes HHD is HDD opps (speed). Stop a program with a Batch file

Yeah I knew all that; (which is why I have yet to get one. "Wear-leveling" also still isn't ready for prime-time, and I don't trust any data on USB flash drives either). Like I said: "I have TV shows on it that I missed, and lately they would all spontaneously stop with 5-10 minutes left in the clip, and then start playing the next video. So I thought I would try and optimize it to see if that would help." I'm not aware of any USB flash drives that have any "drive management software" (unless it's a secret).

I am unfamiliar with the term "HHD", I believe you mean "HDD" ("hard disk drive", or I just use "HD", "hard drive").

Yes HHD is HDD opps Hard Disk Drive it is.

USB 2 speed, not all USB 2 ports are the same. Some maybe faster than others, (yes USB 2). Just like other things satnards have changed. (You may see the different standards in the BIOS).
    USB 2 may just not be quick enough to cope with TV shows.

Or mabe it is the way the USB stick is Formated (FAT= 4G files, NTFS=more)

Sounds like a buffer or cache issue somwhere.

Batch Files>>>

These posts are well off topic and nothing to do with Batch Files, sorry.

I like and use Batch files but do not know of any close/stop a program. This may help:-

batch file to start then stop a program

Tskill (TaSk Kill maybe)

Ends a process.

Syntax

tskill {ProcessID | ProcessName} [/server:ServerName] [{/id:SessionID | /a}] [/v]

ParametersProcessID: The ID of the process you want to end.
    ProcessName: The name of the process you want to end. You can use wildcards to specify this parameter.
    /server:ServerName: Specifies the terminal server containing the process you want to end. Otherwise, the current terminal server is used.
    /id:SessionID: Ends the process running in the specified session.
    /a: Ends the process running in all sessions.
    /v: Displays information about the actions being performed.
    /?: Displays help at the command prompt.

Tskill:-
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ts_cmd_tskill.mspx

How to exit a Windows MS-DOS window through a batch file
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000320.htm

and others on this site e.g.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000738.htm

The only way I can think of it the call a small C/C++ program to close a program.
    Last edited by TrafficProducer; 04-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.

USB 2 speed, not all USB 2 ports are the same. Some maybe faster than others, (yes USB 2). Just like other things satnards have changed. (You may see the different standards in the BIOS).
    The USB2.0 "standards" haven't changed, it is what it is; 480mb/s (60MB/s). I think any cross-PC speed differences aren't due to the actual USB2.0 ports, but more so other things such as (if dealing with USB flash drives) the inconsistency between flash memory even in identical flash drives, any USB hubs used*, and most importantly the way USB ports are set not only in the Device Manager but also in the mobo's BIOS. Some mobo's have a "Legacy USB" setting which can affect speeds, and many users get confused between the options (if present) USB > Full Speed and USB > HiSpeed. If these areas are not set properly, USB speeds will suffer.

*One may be surprised at how many USB hubs can be labeled "USB 2.0" yet are actually only USB1.1! Then some are just crap from using garbage parts and shoddy Q/C that can't quite reach 2.0 speeds. Typical crap made in China. Then there's also the issue that some USB flash drive tasks require more current than the standard 500ma. The other day I was trying to copy many gb files to a MicroSDHC card via a MicroSD reader plugged into my hub, and after a long time of getting errors, I realized the hub had to be plugged in. It works fine unpowered for my keyboard, mouse, benchmarking flash drives, etc., but for that task with a tiny <1mm thick and few mm's across MicroSDHC card with an almost-as-tiny MicroSD reader, the bus-powered current was just not enough.

USB 2 may just not be quick enough to cope with TV shows. Or mabe it is the way the USB stick is Formated (FAT= 4G files, NTFS=more)
    I don't think that's it. I think it's some "strange issue" with the media player (portable LCD TV that can play all media via USB port and USB flash drive) because for a long time it would play all TV shows (converted from flv to AVI) without any issues. Or, the conversion process itself may have been "somehow minorly faulty" in some way that only affected the player. ? The exact same bitrates, Codecs, wrappers, FPS, etc., were used. The AVI files are all about the same size, ~800-1000mb for about a 42 minute TV show (that's 1hr without commercials) and some will play perfectly, yet some stop with 5-10 minutes remaining. And those that won't fully play on the media player play fine on my PC. And of course it's always been formatted in FAT32.

Sounds like a buffer or cache issue somwhere.
    At first it "sounds" like it might be, but that would cause jerkiness or stuttering throughout (as with streaming clips), and 2.0 flash drives don't have a buffer.

Batch Files>>> .........
    The irony is, the posts on defragmenting were obviously moved to this new thread, so the batch file info is now OT here! If you check the batch file thread, you'll see that I found a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by annajazz View Post
    Defragmenting, also referred to as "defragging," reorganizes the hard drive by putting pieces of related data back together so that files are organized in a contiguous fashion. As a result, the computer system can access files more efficiently. By efficiently organizing files and folders, defragmenting will leave the computer's free space in one big chunk. This will allow new files to be saved in an orderly fashion, thereby reducing the need for future defragmentation.
    Yeah, we all know that. Post count.