Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Keywords in URL - spam concern

Keywords in URL - spam concern

I have been asked to consult for SEO on a website build and the developer is using wordPress for the website, which is going to be quite a large directory styled site.

I requested that the URL structure be domain.com/type/state/region/category/subcaregory - fairly standard for seo, however the developer says that WP doesnt allow a slug to be used twice so where there is a category or subcateogy the same in different stats/region it wont allow the structure to work, so the second instance would become domain.com/type/state/region/category/subcaregory-2 etc.

His idea around this is to add a 'type' suffix to each directory, it will make them unique therefore work, so his suggestion would make the url
    domain.com/dogs/ca-dogs/los-angeles-dogs/large-dogs/german-shepard-dogs (where obviously dogs is the suffix)

By having 'dogs' in the URL 5 times, could this be considered as spam therefore cause the site to be penalized.

What are your thoughts

I think you are worrying far too much about what a search engine thinks.

However, are you sure that WP is the best platform to develop a directory on? There is at least one php regional directory software available and that solves this problem for you. I use it myself for an animal rescue site. (phplinkdirectory).

Back to your question, no, I don't think it's too much, but if you would like to be sure, use number codes instead. cats==01 dogs==02 etc etc.
    You can't create artful marketing with color by number seo

Repeating keywords in URL in not considered as spam (opposed to contents) but this may not be looking attractive to the visitors and can negatively impact the CTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble123 View Post
    but this may not be looking attractive to the visitors and can negatively impact the CTR.
    I can't think of one time I've actually looked at and analyzed the URL before or after visiting a website and been "negatively impacted" - regardless of the look, shape or form of the URL. Seriously, where on earth did you get this notion from?
    Hidden Content Markham
    Hidden Content Web Design
    Online SEO Hidden Content Markham.

It might not necessarily cause problems or spam because usually the elements which appear on the pages, within the content bodies might raise red flags sometimes and not the structures of the URLs employed by webmasters. You may use numbers as already suggested or even some shorter forms because repeating too many keywords as parts of your web pages addresses might not help that much with getting better ranks though.

WP is a pretty nice platform to use for a variety of web purposes but it alone will not solve all web-related issues always. Selection of templates and web formats is one thing and maintenance of the directories and sites could be quite another issue. You can use pure basic HTML and CSS and still have a wonderful directory online, without relying on some CMS programs or installing scripts on your web server.

Any character in the url will not be counted as Spam. So don't worry about it. instead I think having the term "Dogs" many times will not help you to get ranking, you can use the keyword once or twice in the url so that it doesn't look bad.
    Thanks
    [ not enough quality posts for a signature ]

Post 'Penguin' , I would definitely suggest you to stay away from using too much keywords in URL. Because the EMD has hit very hard by the panda update. And I am quite sure if you have too many instances of keywords in URL, your website ranking will harm. So avoid using 'dogs' too many times.

WebProWorld MVP
    Repeating keywords in the URL is not going to be a big issue.

But, keep in mind that the closer to the root of the domain the better it's going to be. So, if you don't have to add additional folders, then it will be better in the long run.
    Follow me on Twitter, I'm Hidden Content or Hidden Content .

Rest in Peace 1946 - 2013 deepsand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forexrobots
    yes u are right,keywords in url are spamming today according to google.
    Utter nonsense.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bhartzer View Post
    ... the closer to the root of the domain the better it's going to be. So, if you don't have to add additional folders, then it will be better in the long run.
    Given that last year's statistical analysis of ranking factors as done by SEOmoz showed little correlation between SERP rank and keywords in URLs, and as using URLs for stuffing purposes is widespread, there is no reason to believe that Panda and/or Penguin increased the importance of such.

At best, keywords in URLs appear to be a confirming factor. I.e., if the indexing engine's confidence in its assessment of the syntactical nature of a page's content is marginal, the presence of certain keywords in its URL may serve to confirm, but never deny, its conclusions.

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun.p View Post
    Post 'Penguin' , I would definitely suggest you to stay away from using too much keywords in URL. Because the EMD has hit very hard by the panda update. And I am quite sure if you have too many instances of keywords in URL, your website ranking will harm.
    As, per the findings of SEOmoz last Spring, keywords in URLs were of little import prior to Panda, there's no reason to believe that they would now suddenly be of a great negative import.
    Last edited by deepsand; 05-04-2012 at 03:30 AM.