Submit Your Article Forum Rules

Thread: Update: Duane Forrester (BING) Says Use Meta Keywords Properly, Of Course

Update: Duane Forrester (BING) Says Use Meta Keywords Properly, Of Course

I really enjoyed reading this article from Duane Forrester from BING titled 8 Social and SEO myths reviewed. I was on my mobile phone (Iphone) and searched out of a bit of boredom, while waiting for someone to come out of a store, "seo news". The result was linked to from another site.

I have to say, this was one of the most enjoyable articles related to SEO I've read in some time. It just seemed so clear, logical and to the point. I was taken aback a slight when I got to the keywords section considering BING had alluded to the idea that they don't care for keywords. Well Duane's take is a little different than what we were supposing. Here's what he said:

While meta keywords are useful, it's not for SEO. By all means, fill in your meta keywords tags if you like. Just get it right. Keyword stuffing still gets a sideways glance and may make us wonder what else you're capable of. By itself, its not a big deal, but since it's not going to help, why peruse it? meta keyword tags can provide some value, though. Think about some of the services, like contextual ad programs, that may reference the data inside a meta keyword tag to help align ads with page content. Or screen assistive technologies that may reference this tag to help the visitor understand the page content. In the world of SEO, meta keyword tags are optional, so think beyond SEO and consider the bigger picture.
    So as a lot of SEOs including myself declared that we don't care about using the meta keywords tag, in the end, and at least when it comes to usability we still should. As he mentions there are other areas outside of SEO that keywords are useful to the user and usability is not something an SEO should ignore.

Usability - when it comes to a lot of the people or companies that call themselves SEOs, it's a big work that doesn't even reach their vocabulary - unfortunately.

So as a lot of SEOs including myself declared that we don't care about using the meta keywords tag, in the end, and at least when it comes to usability we still should.